Anyone Have Underground Sprinkler System Installed?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Getting real tried of dragging hoses all over yard. Called a sprinkler company, guy came out when I wasn't there and tested my well, said I have good water presure. Quoted price of $2,400 for 4 zone system seems like good price because of all the digging. Told guy to put in writting today. I never had a underground sprinkler what should I look for? What should I stay away from?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 2 above ground sprinklers - pretty sporatic - not through coverage at all
DSCF1146.JPG

sSc_hiding2.gif

Sorry.. couldn't resist.....

Actually, I got tired of dragging hoses too so I put a 4-way splitter on the faucet and then laid hoses along the back of the house, along the edge of the woods, out by the fence and back near the garden. I turn on the one I want and only have to 'drag' it a little big because it's right where I use it.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
How large of an area do you have for your yard ? If you do it yourself you would quite easily save 2/3 or more of the quoted price. Since I built several of my own homes, putting in an underground sprinkler system is quite simple. Just go to the Home Depot or Lowes or a irrigation supply store, and they will help you by providing you with written information as well as a paper grid to design your own layout number and type of sprinkler heads and control valves as well as up to 50% overlap of the sprinkler head water pattern depending on area to be covered and your available water pressure as well as a control valve timer. Be sure to ask about draining water out of your water lines for the winter as well as the freezing depth of the soil in your area. The water in the lines WILL freeze, and WILL burst the lines. Next, rent a small trencher to trench the supply line according to the layout ( using a trencher goes surprisingly really fast... once I personally dug a trench for electric line from my house to the barn 18" wide x 3 ft. deep x 1,027 ft.in just over 4 hours using a small riding trencher ) then install them starting at your water supply point and control valves. My last project was to install an underground drip irrigation system covering 2.5 acres for 78 trees, dozens of bushes/shrubs, flower beds, etc.. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That system you already have,

... is that for the snow peas?

You sure that things won't go through? I'd think that you'd have to be concerned about brown spots.

Steve
with no scoop on this subject, at all

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy my son worked for a company that installed those systems for 2 summers. He was GOOD! :) I would send him to you but he is busy with his life and work these days! If you decide to do it yourself or have nephew do the work, I could ask him for tips. ;)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
For the time being get the Xhose pro. The best investment we ever made. So light! And ver sturdy compared to the first version of the product. We have hydrants all over our property to water animals and gardens. I use the Xhose with a sprinkler. We also have a sprinkler that walk down the grass rows between our daylily beds.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not the handy type, ths is something that I wouldn't even try. By hiring a company if something goes wrong , they will have to correct. I once built a bridge over the stream in my backyard, friend spent 2 days in hospital when it collapsed with her on it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not the handy type, ths is something that I wouldn't even try. By hiring a company if something goes wrong , they will have to correct. I once built a bridge over the stream in my backyard, friend spent 2 days in hospital when it collapsed with her on it.
Remind me not to be your friend. :eek:

Mary

Latest posts