Anyone Know About Home Chippers?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a ad on CL for a troy bilt jr tomahawk chipper 5 HP. How powerfull is 5 HP? can it chip branches the size of a mop handle, or are we talking thin twigs?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a Tomahawk and it's either 4 or 5 HP, and it's plenty strong enough to shred mop handles. Or branches that size, whichever you want to get rid of. Mine is pretty ancient though. It looks like this one:
upload_2014-8-13_6-40-32.jpeg

I actually have two, the neighbor lady was going to give me her late husbands, but I bought it from her, and I have my original 20 something year old that needs some carb work done.
I've been really happy with them.

Now dh and I can shred side by side, when we want a romantic afternoon. :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Daddy had one years ago and he loved it. He shredded up stuff for his compost pile and for mulch.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Man, if its a good deal i'd say buy it. We looked into renting one this spring to deal with all the lilac branches we pruned off at our old house to keep the walkway and driveway open, and it was a ridiculous amount of money! I seem to remember maybe several hundred dollars for the day?!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Man, if its a good deal i'd say buy it. We looked into renting one this spring to deal with all the lilac branches we pruned off at our old house to keep the walkway and driveway open, and it was a ridiculous amount of money! I seem to remember maybe several hundred dollars for the day?!
:ep

Elbesta

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thistlebloom said,

I actually have two, the neighbor lady was going to give me her late husbands, but I bought it from her, and I have my original 20 something year old that needs some carb work done.

I told this to my DW she just shook her head and walked away! I tried, she just would not shred the compost pile, I'm trying to be romantic, I just don't know what to do! Signed, Hopeless Shredder.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said,

I told this to my DW she just shook her head and walked away! I tried, she just would not shred the compost pile, I'm trying to be romantic, I just don't know what to do! Signed, Hopeless Shredder.
Romantic guys like you are few and far between....... :lol:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Take some thing over you want to shred to prove it works fine & try it. If it runs & cuts it's a steal.

Latest posts