anyone plant carrotts?

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
i just pulled up the rest of my carrots today and very pleased how they truned out! next year i have to thin them out. the carrotts that were right next to each other came out small and the one that had nothing near them came out huge!

6307_carrotts_001.jpg

i had about 3 and a half of these filled when i got done took about 2 hours
6307_chicken_coop_101.jpg

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thin as they grow...eat the baby carrots..then the middie carrots then the larger carrots...big ones are great but this way I get three pulls at least! besides I like smaller carrots and think yours look just perfect :)

congratulations!!!
I think growing and pulling carrots are one of the most wonderful joys of gardening!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is great. Very nice harvest. How long a row did you have planted for that much harvest?

I'll plant my winter carrots later this week. Last winter, I left the carrots in the ground and covered them when it got in the mid 20's or below. This year I'll just try mulching them heavily once it really turns cold. Those carrots stayed sweet and delicious until they started growing again when the weather warmed up. Once they started growing again in late winter/very early spring, they turned bitter and pithy very quickly.

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
my row of carrots was only about 12 feet long. i just planted. my winter corp today.

when the tempure drops do i have to cove them or should i pull them up? or will they not be ready?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those carrots look wonderful! Now that you have sliced them up, how do you store them? I kept mine whole and put them in a tub of sand in the basement. It worked real well- we had carrots all winter...Enjoy yours!

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
i cut them up and froze them we eat carrots all the time so they ill gone in no time

prism

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Your carrots look great! Did you freeze or can them? I used to freeze mine and then discovered they keep really well in the fridge all winter. I cut the tops off (or it will mold) but leave a little stub of green, wash and dry really good, store in a zip lock bag but leave the zipper open to avoid condensation in the bag. We have an extra fridge, so it doesn't get opened as often so the carrots don't get exposed to much light either. I have had just a few left by spring and they actually started growing new tops - too funny.

I haven't been able to pick any yet this year. I keep checking but they are still a little too small. Hope they'll be ready soon. There is nothing like the taste of homegrown carrots.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
my row of carrots was only about 12 feet long. i just planted. my winter corp today.

Isn't it amazing how many carrots you can grow in a small space as long as you thin them properly.

when the tempure drops do i have to cove them or should i pull them up? or will they not be ready?

I don't know where you live or what your season is like. If you modify your profile to reflect that, it would help some with questions like this. I was able to leave mine in the ground all winter, just covering them when it got in the mid 20's. I don't know if that would work for you. I did not have that many days it actually got into the teens and only two episodes of single digit temperatures.

country lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Nice! Have you ever thought of a carrot cake? I googled a recipe last week and it is so good. I like a recipe with crushed pineapple--so moist. I bet it would freeze well, without the frosting. I think I will plant some more carrots since you all mentioned a fall crop.

Latest posts