Anyone starting seeds yet?

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh No! I didn't need to hear this! I have been so antsy to start seeds. :barnie I keep telling myself to wait just a little bit longer. :fl

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are different ways to make a heating unit. I built a box and lined the bottom and sides with aluminum foil to act as a reflector. I put cup hooks along the two sides and put a string of those old-fashioned Christmas tree lights across between them. The idea is to spread the lights out so the bulbs don't touch the wiring and burn through. If I were to do it again, I'd make the box deeper so the lights don't touch the box bottom or top and would make a wider box.

I control how much heat I get by unscrewing some of the light bulbs. I probably only need about 20% of mine, but that will depend on how big you make yours and the size of the bulbs. I measure the temperature of the soil above with a small thermometer.

My light is an old fixture I happened to have handy. The cup hooks were the only thing I needed to buy for mine.

6180_dscf0566.jpg
6180_set-up.jpg

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
AllyRodrigues said:
retiredwith4acres said:
I am getting close. I made two more heating units yesterday for the seed starting. I have the soil and as soon as we get a few lights in place will begin the seeds. First I will do some perennial flower seeds and herbs, then some tomatoes, etc. It is a little early for the vegetables, but it won't be long. So itchy to get started!!!
How did you make your heating units? I'm looking at different ways to avoid buying an actual "starting light".

I was crazy inside the house yesterday so I started 8 each of 3 types of vining perennials.

Since i was so late to start my (1st ever) garden last year, I'm anxious to get some veggies started here soon inside. Tomatoes are what I am most excited about and I bought three types of seeds this year!
I took a 1x2 and made a 2x4 (minus one inch so to fit on shelf) box with plywood bottom. We ordered the wire for heating units on a gardening site and staple it in a continuous s fashion on bottom of plywood. They plug into wall, fill a couple inches of sand and place plant trays or containers on those. We have two that has been used for a dozen years or so and made two more. They will go onto shelves with lights over them for when the seedlings emerge. A very good investment!!! the wire has a thermostat and everything to keep it around 70 degrees.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is a picture of our heat boxes. This would cost more than the Christmas lights but does have a thermostat. Using the sand to cover the wires distributes the heat throughout the area.

8537_heating_boxes.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
As I grow indoors, and in a greenhouse, I routinely start seeds all year long. Sunday I stopped at the local Agway and they had just put out the seeds, so I purchased a few packages of one of my favorite brands: Livingston Seed Co. Their packages contain more seeds than most any other brand, and the cost was really reasonable. The packages have 5 grams for beets, 10 grams for the chard, and 3 grams for lettuce. So for under five dollars I came home with a few thousand seeds. Livingston is not associated with Monsanto, which is one reason I like to buy their seeds.

seeds.jpg

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, I am starting red onions, yellow spanish onions, and something called crystal white wax (they are supposed to be a pearl onion). These should be safe. Lettuce and herbs are next on the list.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, such promise in that little stem! Great deal Jackb, I will have to see if our local agway carries that brand...

Latest posts