aphids in the greenhouse!

kalivio

Leafing Out
Reaction score
SIGH. I can't believe it, but I already have aphids.

They were not there yesterday, and I only found them on two plants in the entire greenhouse. They were on two small pepper plants that I have not yet transplanted into their permanent containers because they just aren't quite big enough. I bought them at farmer's market on Saturday and they were so soaked that the soil is still mud. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Also - I checked these before I bought them and I didn't see anything, but who knows.

So, I hosed them off outside and then manually stripped each leaf of every aphid and egg. I will check again in the morning and then it's LADYBUG TIME! I'll go get a bag tomorrow.

Can I "over do it" with ladybugs? Cause I like them and I have no problem letting them live happily in the greenhouse...but, if it's bad to have too many just let me know. :)

Thanks!

aphids_053012.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jess, I don't know if you can "over do it" with ladybugs. I know that they can run outta food and be in a hurry to go somewhere else.

Aphids in the greenhouse can be a real problem. With just a few plants, I think you have done the right thing by squishing 'em!

The organic sprays pretty much rely on dehydrating the nasty little juice-suckers! The problem with dehydrating them in a greenhouse is that it's humid in there! At least, I have trouble killing the aphids while the plants are in the greenhouse. It works much better to spray them outdoors and allow the spray to dry, giving them quite awhile before moving the plants back into the greenhouse. Anyway, that's what I'm forced to do.
But, your question was about lady bugs
ladybug.gif
and I got off on spraying with insecticidal soap and such :rolleyes:.

Steve

kalivio

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Steve - I had no idea the soap sprays work by dehydrating the little buggers. Cool info there.

I read somewhere that you can get ladybugs to stay around longer if you spray them with a 1:1 mix of water and clear soda. Apparently it makes the wings stick together so they can't fly away for a few days, but I don't think I can be that cruel. :)

Thanks for the tips about taking the infested plants out, spraying and leaving them out for a bit. I was wondering about that!

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just used soap to wash the sap and wax off the little buggers (apids) and keep them under control that way. Lady bugs did find us and laid lots of eggs, but then I ran out of aphids for them and I think some of the baby lady bugs starved before turning into lady bugs. I'm pretty sure that although adults do eat lots of aphids, it is the offspring that really go to control populations of aphids. This was on the balcony plants in the middle of sterileville, so when I ran low on food, I had nowhere to take them. I don't tend to have an aphid problem at home on plants in the soil outdoors where the natural predators exist and can move along freely. Something about soft jucy well tended greenhouse and potted plants I swear draws in pests!

And Steve should know about no sun!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
. . . Something about soft jucy well tended greenhouse and potted plants I swear draws in pests!

And Steve should know about no sun!
The plants really are tender in there. I think it is important to get them out not only for hardening-off but so the sparrows can go thru them. Yep, they work their way right thru the flats of plant starts after I get them out on sawhorses in the yard. Of course, you can't really see what they are doing but I'm confident that the sparrows are looking for aphids and will "lick" them off the plants if they have to.

Sparrows will eat the lettuce but often, do not. Maybe it depends on what else they are finding in the neighborhood. Sometimes, I have to cover the lettuce starts with upside-down web flats.

No sun today - I haven't seen a bit of it! There was a sprinkle but I keep wondering when the rain will arrive. Checking the radar map shows that the storm isn't quite on target. For as many cloudy spring days as we have, not much rain falls. You may remember me saying that "officially" there were zero clear days in April. There will be 6 clear May days . . . Official precipitation: April 1.39", May .67" so far (Spokane data).

Come on: let it rain!

Steve
thgenekellybg6.gif

Latest posts