Aquaponic gardening at home

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is this an indoor tank? How much room do you have to work with? Thats the first thing you have to look at.

How elaborate a set up are you trying to do? Those are the questions you have to ask yourself first before you look at species your trying to keep.

I'm assuming you want fish/crays for human consumption right? Crays are territorial and won't tolerate the kind of set up you want to get enough to make a worthwhile meal out of unless you have a pretty complex set up.

If I was looking for an edible fish Id honestly do catfish. They are MUCH more tolerate of water conditions and can be kept in shallow tanks so your not trying keeping big tanks to get enough fish to make it worth your while. Catfish clean easily enough and you get a lot of meat off a catfish vs the small filets that blue gills would give you.

Just something to think about....

mkey42

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi,yes , check the state laws,florida where i am they are restricted without permit .also some crayfish need special permitting.Is easy to get fresh-water prawn ,no permit in fl needed.and the numbers look decent for farming.

RIrs

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just started my own aquaponics system here in Fl and im useing nile tilapia for my source of food for the veggies.

Thanks,
RIrs

Timmy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Jared77: I was thinking a 100 to 150 gallon livestock water tank with different size PVC "condos" for the crays to live in and get away from one another. would that work?

wifezilla:I checked out Zetts and that is just what I was looking for Thanks.

RIrs: Do You have any pics of your new setup? What veggies are you growing?

mKey42:when it comes to laws and permits I find it easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. But before I actually get started I will check with fish and game. I think I'm gana go with crays and they sell them in bait shops here so I think I'll be okay.Blue Gill are A Game fish here, but they aren't native so I don't know If I'll be aloud to use them.

brandylorton

Leafing Out
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
The source I was looking at for Crayfish is Zetts Fish Hatchery. If you google it, you should be able to find their catalog.
Aquaponic gardening is just my hobby i want to make it my profession so i am thinking to make some changes in the system setup so should i do it or not i would like to know something from an experienced one like you.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just saw this post so I thought I'd chime in again. Id be sure to get permission on the sale of those crays. Businesses are not going to just jump on board with your crays because they could get fined for having illegal crays and then they drop your name to get a reduced fine and when Fish and Game is knocking on your door well the gig is up then.

Most game fish are not legal to keep in a "home" enviroment without permits. If you were going with a tank that big, you could easily do a Tilapia, or some species of catfish, if you wanted something edible. Sure crays are but they don't produce a lot of meat and it takes a lot to get a meal. One other thing is nutrients for them. Since they have an exoskeleton they need lots of nutrients to keep growing and shedding and growing and shedding. Crays are fun I've raised them (purely because they were crays and I find them fascinating creatures) but I wouldn't think they'd make a good sustainable food source. They are pretty easy to breed though. Hydroponics is a great thing to get into, but you have to be sure you understand limiting factors.

Limiting factors are what plants need to grow. Light, nutrients, and filteration for terrestrial plants are the 2. For X amount of light you need Y amount of nutrients to make your plants grow to their fullest and maximize the volume of nutrients available. If you gave them say G amount of light your plants won't be able to use the amount of nutrients and you'll get algae. Or if you gave them Z amount of light and only give them say F amount of nutrients you'll have skinny underdeveloped plants. So your wondering is there a magic formula? ABSOLUTELY NOT! ;) Its trial and error. You'll have to work with the number of fish you have, test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and note the growth. Maybe you need more fish. Maybe you need to feed them more. Maybe they need more micronutrients in the water. Maybe more light. Maybe less light. Keep in mind with limiting factors the higher you push one element you will only get as much growth as the lowest amount of other factor. One other thing to keep in mind. The more light and nutrients you push on them, the smaller you make your target to achieve that harmony. Start out small, and take lots of notes. Make gradual changes and only change 1 thing at a time so you know if it works or not. You change 2 things how do you know which one worked?

It can be a very rewarding hobby but it takes time to get it right.

brandylorton

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well you made me thinking. Should i do or not will it be helping me professionally . I think i must change my mind and not g for that one but my heart tell sto go for it i need ton think on that. Any suggestion.

Latest posts