Are Favas a Favorite?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ornamental?!

Oh Heavens! Prairie Garden (link) has all sorts of fava beans! Ornamental, cover crop, Japanese ...

One catalog was saying that with conscientious harvesting, the pods could be picked right thru the growing season. I don't suppose that would be true just anywhere ...

I'd have to find a solution to their aphid problems. By the way, I have learned what @Smart Red (wasn't it) meant about aphids and Brussels sprouts. Other than that early spraying, I had left those plants alone (@buckabucka suggested pinching them around September 1st, did that :)). Harvesting began on stems covered with sprouts. They have also been covered with aphids!

I can peel and wash the aphids off those new sprouts but decided to test Neem on 1 plant. Darn near killed it! Maybe it just got too much sun after spraying. Anyway, there is more than one way to keep aphids off plants that just kind of shoot straight up, as I recall those favas did.

Brussels sprouts and broad beans ... sounds entirely too northern European ;). I was thinking of favas and some of the tomato sauce I've been making. There will some in the freezer still by fava harvest next July, I'm guessin'.

:) Steve
whose x chromosome is probably "safely" northern european even if y might be a question mark

Last edited:
Reactions: Hal

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digitS' I noticed they new site design has gone live for Prairie Garden :)
Actually one control method I used to hear from older gardeners coming through my old work is to dissolve some Vegimite in hot water and use it as a spray to control Aphids.
Some folks swear by it, I have not tested it as I refuse to buy the stuff it tastes vile and smells vile.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Hal !

I've eaten Vegemite! I'm probably amongst the .0001% of Americans who can say that ;). Of course, it must have been 50 years ago but I'm still kicking.

I was sitting waiting (& waiting ...) near the front entrance to a hospital the other day. There was a continuous parade of people coming and going ... Suddenly, the thought occurred to me! "I wonder how many of them have milked a cow?"

Mom didn't have to hold my nose to get me to eat the Vegemite (nearly). Dad didn't have to twist my ear to get me to milk a cow ... we all grow up with different experiences :).

Steve

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Hal !

I've eaten Vegemite! I'm probably amongst the .0001% of Americans who can say that ;). Of course, it must have been 50 years ago but I'm still kicking.

I was sitting waiting (& waiting ...) near the front entrance to a hospital the other day. There was a continuous parade of people coming and going ... Suddenly, the thought occurred to me! "I wonder how many of them have milked a cow?"

Mom didn't have to hold my nose to get me to eat the Vegemite (nearly). Dad didn't have to twist my ear to get me to milk a cow ... we all grow up with different experiences :).

Steve
I ate the vegetables that everyone complained about which often included Favas and luckily I had a lot of homegrown food in my diet, as a child I made my pocket money selling produce to folks nearby or trading my way :) My father and I consider them a treat freshly shelled.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' and @PhilaGardener I had tons of aphids on my long green beans. I washed them off with the water hose, but they came right back. Then these funny orange bugs showed up. They have black legs, black antenna and they love to eat aphids. I finally found out what they are--assassin bugs! There are many different kinds. I have caught them for friends to turn loose in their gardens. I have a jar on the counter right now, ready to go to our new place this weekend, and i'll turn them out and hope for the best next spring.

[img id="yui_3_10_0_1_1413491468195_1274" alt="" src="http://butterflies.heuristron.net/pictures/assassin/DSC07376.JPG">

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting that there are "many different types."

There is something that looks a little like them around here. They are very brave, like to sit on flowers, and not knowing what they are, I just bump them off onto the ground.

I have wondered if they are predators but have never seen them on the Brussels sprouts, for example ... they are missing out!

Steve
who has made a fool of himself batting at lacewings at the backdoor light so he is trying to mend his ways ...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would be very leary of any bug or any other animal or plant transplantation into another area where they do not exist, especially where one would be beneficial in one area could eventually be a pest in another. It potentionally could become an environmental disaster in the new area as there a many examples of this all over the world. :th

Latest posts