Are These Wild Grape ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ny should be the wild grape state. One of the biggest weeds I deal with. These where growing at kennel, I always assumed they where wild, but they are growing next to mock orange, near a old foundation. DSCF0246.JPG DSCF0244.JPG DSCF0245.JPG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look like wild grapes to me.

Insidious little monsters; they will root and grow everwhere. Even years after ripping them out of the woods -- now it is field area -- they are still popping up by the time mowing is needed.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure look like them. If you gather enough of the fruit. (They are more seed than flesh though ) you can make a tasty Wild Grape Jelly/syrup.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks to be. The clusters aren't long and dangling like what I usually find, but maybe they weren't pollinated well or something. The leaves look right. Should turn dark purple next month.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Suggest, introduce Crossbow to them. Then plant a grape worthy of growing.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agreed with seed! Wild grape jelly is more work than it is worth -- unless you have no other choice in grapes. Plant the varieties you want and enjoy seeing what homemade grape jelly does to your friends.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have planted about 10 vines that are suppose to be good for my area. For 2 years they are struggling, heres the real kicker, my nephew took one and planted where he is living in the fall. Dam vine that did nothing at my house grew to 2nd floor of house and produced massive amount of grapes!!!!!!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have planted about 10 vines that are suppose to be good for my area. For 2 years they are struggling, heres the real kicker, my nephew took one and planted where he is living in the fall. Dam vine that did nothing at my house grew to 2nd floor of house and produced massive amount of grapes!!!!!!
It must be about soil conditions and light. Go pick some of his grapes. Pretty sure he will not be using them all.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol with my soil some times I think I would be better off doing clay pottery then gardening. Could get a potters wheel and hope for a hot ghost like Demi Moore !!

Latest posts