ASPIRIN for plants

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
agirly4chicks said:
When you mix it with the water do you crush the asprin up? I read Martha's article and it doesn't say.
I do. It just seems like a good idea.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I seem to recall that willow leaves contain a compound that promotes rooting, however I'm not sure if it is the same as the compound in the bark.

Interesting stuff. As someone who prefers organic methods, this is something I would try. It certainly is not as toxic as many other alternatives.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I seem to recall that willow leaves contain a compound that promotes rooting, however I'm not sure if it is the same as the compound in the bark.

Interesting stuff. As someone who prefers organic methods, this is something I would try. It certainly is not as toxic as many other alternatives.
Willow contains salicylic acid, which for centuries was known for it's analgesic and anti-inflammtory indications. In the mid 1800's, acetylsalicylic acid was synthesised, to duplicate these properties.

So, in essence, with aspirin you have the active ingredient from willow in a tablet.

As many know, you can spend a bunch of money on rooting compounds, which invariably turn out to be willow tea and sugar/honey/corn syrup etc. It isn't hard to make if you are inclined.

Take a handful of willow sticks, cut fresh, and place them in a container, then pour screaming hot, boiling water over them and let them steep for several days. Screen this and add 10% honey to the mixture and there you go. Rooting compund.

Sans the honey, I dont see why you couldn't pour this on your plants with the same effect as aspirin. But, you can make a lot of aspirin water for next to nothing. Hacking up a nice willow to do the same, well... it don't seem right, somehow.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I also found a willow tea recipe called aspirin water, but the recipe I found didn't have honey in it.

Isn't aspirin a different chemical form from what you get straight from the tree . . . the acid form of something that is chemically neutral in the tree? Just trying to remember. We made aspirin in high school chem class, but I have forgotten the details. :rolleyes:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess my question is now... can I just use willow bark rather then asprin?! I have a willow tree and I've made rooting hormone juice from it before. Good stuff!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My guess is yes, you could use the willow tea, and it would probably be an even safer alternative.

Latest posts