[b] How many ears on a stalk of corn? [/b]

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is the first time I have tried corn, and planted several different kinds this year. I am harvesting now. Some of the stalks have produced one large full ear or corn and other stalks have produced a second ear but it appears to be immature, and much smaller.

My questions for the experienced corn folks are:

Do different types of corn produce more than one ear per stalk?
If there is more than one ear, do they harvest at the same time (should they both be ready at the same time?)

Thank you.

Anne

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do different types of corn produce more than one ear per stalk?
Yes.

If there is more than one ear, do they harvest at the same time (should they both be ready at the same time?)
Depends on what type of corn. Flour corn, popcorn, any corn that normally is harvested when the stalks are dry in the field, yes, they will all be dried out at the same time. Sweet corn, not so much in my experience. But there might be some varieties that do.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In additoin to variety, sometimes, if you space a two ear type too close, it will only produce one ear. Often I harvest the 2nd ear for baby corn and keep the big ear to mature, unless the season looks long (yeah right in the PNW), I harvest the top ear about 2 weeks before the second. However, that 3 weeks from tassle to harvest is more like 6 weeks here, so probably a week later would be sufficent. Do check far enough down on the 2nd ear though, becuase sometimes they don't fill out all the way and you'll look at the top of a half filled ear thinking it's not ready while the bottom goes to starch.

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind and Silkie,

Thank you so much. I appreciate your responses. I will leave some of the double little ears on the stalk and see what happens. I did plant too close, I think and will change that for next year. One thing I won't do again is plant painted corn next to the eating corn....I noticed the stalks right around the painted corn cross pollinated. The chickens loved those.

We are so enjoying the fresh corn at every meal. So tasty. Thank you again.

Anne

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I harvested the last of my "peaches and cream" corn yesterday. I had noticed that the last few meals the corn was not as sweet, and the kernels were getting quite large. There were only about 40 cobs left on the stalks, as we have been enjoying some incredible eating for the last several weeks. This last batch we blanched, cut off the kernels, and vacuum packed in "food saver" bags for the freezer. They will be used for corn chowder, stews, shepherds pie's, etc. this winter.

While there were second cobs on about 50% of the stalks, only a few of these actually were big enough to bother harvesting. I suppose I could have left those to see if they would grow larger, but the stalks themselves were swiftly turning yellow-reddish, and I figured I may as well cut them all down at once.

Im sure going to miss that sweet, fresh picked corn on the cob. Oh well, until next year..

Latest posts