Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beekissed, I'm going to start praying that you get those wood chips.

Awww, thank you!!! I'd love it if you all could send up a little prayer for the same...there is power in prayer, even for something as mundane as wood chips. Doesn't have to be anything major..just sort of a "can you send Bee those wood chips, Lord?". :D I've been doing the same thing all day!

Mary

@Beekissed, I know it is not ideal, but perhaps if you went to the tree service in person with a truck, you could get the wood chips a load at a time. I can understand why a company 'giving chips away' would not want the added expense of delivery.

I know and I wish I could, but Mom's truck bed is so small that we'd have to make a hundred trips to get enough for the garden, let alone the orchard...too big an area. We don't have anyone else that has free time and a truck bed big enough to haul enough for those areas either. We do have a guy with a dump truck we could hire, but the problem is those chips have to be loaded into the dump truck and I can't see the tree service doing that after dumping them somewhere...it would take an endloader/bucket or some such to load the dump truck and that would take time and cost as well and I don't see them doing it.

There are also no mulch places near this place....not for about a hundred miles...where one can just buy a load of chips from.

We offered to pay to have them brought out and we wouldn't try to rip them off either...we'd pay well. That's how much it means to us to have this garden done this way this year.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness gracious. That would be awful! I'm sure a tiller, even a small one, could throw a rock out at a very high velocity. Ours' has a guard on the back so it isn't SUPPOSED to be able to spit things back at you, but only the Lord knows where that stuff is going. I won't let my kids around the garden while I'm tilling for that reason, but I'm much more relaxed about my safety than theirs.

My husband manages a welding and medical gas supply store so I'm sure they probably get some of the same lectures about safety. He's always bringing little odds and ends home as well.
With all of the barefoot tilling, and not to mention NO hardhat, eye and ear protection, no body protection, no sign saying workmen at work, no warning signs saying beware of falling rocks, etc. ... where is OSHA when one needs them. :barnie

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beekissed, I can see why no one wants to go out of their way to deliver chips. Too much time and effort. You have to make it easy for them. I would guess you would have to go to the site and have them shoot the chips into your truck. Is there anyway you could ask where they would be and then hire the guy with the dump truck?

Have you advertised that your looking for chips? Maybe one of the workers for the tree service would be interested in making some extra money.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't done that one yet...placed an ad. I've contemplated it, though. Now, getting the dump truck guy to wrap his schedule around the tree service guy's would be a real miracle from God, which leads me back to praying! :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty, sunny day with a nice breeze, so I got a chance to till the garden once again....still had to do it barefooted, as the heavy clay soil is still too damp, really, for tilling. But, had to try as it's supposed to rain the next two days....

Still no chips from the chip guy but I'm going to try and have faith and just keep plugging along getting the garden and the garden fence ready for the chips....sort of like praying for rain and then going ahead and tilling the land, in confidence that God will answer that prayer.

Hope to let that fresh earth dry out today and maybe get a chance to till it once again before sundown and the coming rains of tomorrow.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been thinking about you beekissed. I'm praying every day. Praying god will soften his heart or that you may get your chips some other way.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, Miss Mary! :hugs Since He was the one that laid this garden method on my heart in the first place~and I do mean HARD!~then I expect He already has a plan in place and will get those chips in HIS time and not because I'm antsing around all over the place impatiently. :gig

I'm praying for patience and faith and I'm so glad someone out there is praying for me too! It means so much! :love

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you all for the prayers! I wonked up my back pushing that mudded up tiller through the still wet earth last session, so I've not got to work on the garden fence and to finish the tilling much. Today I'm going to probably make it worse, but we rarely get this many days in a row without rain in the spring so I have to till while the ground is most dry....this clay soil holds onto moisture like crazy. Hopefully it will be a dryer tillage and the tiller won't need me to hump it up over the clods and push it along...maybe it will stay free enough to propel itself this time.

Can't wait to get this fence done and the garden tilled and ready....then it's up to God to provide the chips. Will be going away on a fishing trip here in a couple of weeks but after that it's time to plant. If I don't get things in the garden then I might as well not do it at all. Growing season is really short here in the mountains.

Latest posts