Bamboo!

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just found out today that there are varieties of bamboo that will grow in my zone! (5) It's pretty and would be so useful. I did a bit of online research, but probably not enough. Stopped by my fave local nursery and they're going to send me a list of what they'll have available.

Anybody have any experience with it and willing to share?

Mickey

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it was at Bellengrath Gardens that I saw the bamboo I would love to have. Lovely tall "trees" that had canes up to 6" across. I'm sure it would be expensive, even if it would grow in my zone.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had bamboo for several years now. I have the clumping kind that is not invasive. To be on the safe side, I did put a bamboo barrier around it. It's a heavy plastic that I made into an oval shape and dug it in about 2 feet. I did this at the beginning but then stopped when I divided my plants. Haven't had a problem yet. I love the color and the way it moves in the wind. It didn't grow as fast as I wanted it. It is against the fence to provide privacy.

Mary

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Part of my decision is clumping or running. My first thought was...clumping cuz I don't want it taking over. But from what I can tell, most of the cans on the clumpers only get to about .5 inch diameter and I'd like some that are a bit bigger and more sturdy. I envision a nice clump outside our bedroom window providing some shade...it gets so beastly hot in there during the summer.

Thanks for the input Mary...I really didn't want to go to the effort to put in a barrier if it wasn't necessary and it sounds like the variety of clumper you have behaves itself :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you will definitely need a barrier if you get the runner kind. I had gone to a home to pick some up but we couldn't even dig it up with a shovel. The owner had a small bobcat there and was going to tear it up with that. The bamboo had taken over the entire yard and had gone into the neighbors yard.

Mary

shadetree

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I Love bamboo. It is unstoppable though. The first few years it just kind of establishes itself, after that.......you better really Love bamboo. It has thousands of uses. The birds Love it, makes beautiful sounds when the wind blows, is nearly impervious to anything once established and is beautiful to look at.

BUT make sure you Love it, it would be a nightmare to get rid of.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Growing bamboo indoors is awesome as it can provide a nice effect, and having a beautiful bamboo plant to compliment your home dcor is great. However there are lot of things to consider.

Latest posts