Banana peppers- canning?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter requested that I plant these - and so far it looks like it will be a good harvest. I went to my trusty Blue Book and could not find a recipe for canning them?? I found something on the internet that looks fine- but it does not include water bath. I was thinking I would follow the recipe and then just put it into the water bath for 10 minutes. Does this sound okay? I don't want to poison anyone with my "fine home cooking"!

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My friend pickles her sweet banana peppers after slicing them into rings and we use them on sandwiches... I think she just googled a recipe...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, that is what I am hoping to do. I did find the recipe- but I don't like the idea of not actually canning them....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can and pickle mine. I make a mix of 1 Qt apple cider vinegar, to 1 1/2 Qt water then add 1/4 cup canning salt, 1 Tbsp dill seed, 1 1/2 tsp mustard seed, 2 Tbsp dried onion flakes, 5 whole garlic cloves, and a handful of fresh dill including flowers. I warm that together as my pickling brine.

I do add the 'pickle crisp' to each jar before I waterbath can it. This helps keep them from going to 'mush' in the jars. I add these peppers to salads, sandwiches and relish when I make it fresh. Also great on tacos!!! :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem, do you actually put it into a water bath? Have you ever tried the grape leaf trick- for crispness?

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi Lesa,
I just put up two quarts of pepperoncinis' and two pints of assorted serranos, jalapenos and fresno chilies Sunday. I used our normal dill pickle recipe for the brine, but after getting a newsletter from chili pepper madness today their recipes recomended keeping the salt at a minimum or none at all to keep the peppers crisp.

It seems that the salt removes moisture from the peppers even in the jar.

Since it is so early in the season here I am going to try several different versions, and take notes to see what works best here.

Good Luck and Happy Canning!:D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you add a grape leaf to your canned pickles, it helps to keep them crisp. I assume it would work for the pepper too-so I will give it a try and report back. Ridgeback, very interesting about the salt... I certainly don't need it. I will give it a try with much less than recommended.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm watching this topic with much interest. I canned my peppers last year ( total beginner here ) and they were mushy. My DH the pepper fiend only ate them to be polite.

And he hates it when I cry.

So Lesa, I'm glad you're ahead of me with the peppers. Make sure you report back how they do!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did a batch this morning. Look good, so far. I noticed the recipe I used, didn't call for any salt- so maybe they will stay crisp?? I did add a grape leaf to each jar. I will try one in a couple weeks and let you know what I think. Thistle, does your Dh only like pickled peppers? If you just like to use peppers in cooking, freezing them works out great....

Latest posts