Basil

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've tried starting basil from seed twice now, using seeds from 2 different companies, and it doesnt grow.
Since the seed is so tiny I just barely cover them with soil, I don't keep the dirt soaked, but it's never bone dry either, it gets watered about once every 3 days. It's in a clay pot that seems to dry out faster than if it were glazed... but I don't know if thats the issue or what. It's irritating that WalMart basil seeds grew like there was no tomorrow for me, but using seed from SSE and Baker's Creek isn't working....

ETA: the dirt was Jiffy potting soil once and potting soil from some no name company this second time.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like the generic no-name potting soil for seed starting better than the name brand stuff. The name brand I got contains a lot of shredded non-composted wood and such which seems to really hold the moisture in. The generic is more soil particle sized and easier to use for the really small seeds. That shredded wood tends to mold too. Moisture control is my biggest problem in starting and growing plants indoors.

You might try covering the container with something during germination to try to keep the moisture level up. Then take it off after half or most of the seeds have sprouted so they can dry out enough to stop damping off. I have not started basil from seed for several years so I don't know how hard it is to germinate. I also don't know if it would help to heat the soil to maybe the 80's to help germination?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Heat might help. You could try putting them on top of the fridge (where it tends to be warmer) and see if that helps. The clay pot will wick moisture from the soil but if you water enough it won't be a terrible problem.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ohhhh I like that idea, I'll put it on the fridge tonight! It'll have beeter exposure to the southern windows that way anyways. And I might lay a piece of saran wrap over the rim of the pot for a little while to "greenhouse" it.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
I've tried starting basil from seed twice now, using seeds from 2 different companies, and it doesnt grow.
Since the seed is so tiny I just barely cover them with soil, I don't keep the dirt soaked, but it's never bone dry either, it gets watered about once every 3 days. It's in a clay pot that seems to dry out faster than if it were glazed... but I don't know if thats the issue or what. It's irritating that WalMart basil seeds grew like there was no tomorrow for me, but using seed from SSE and Baker's Creek isn't working....

ETA: the dirt was Jiffy potting soil once and potting soil from some no name company this second time.
Basil should be easy. Take them out of the clay pot. Use any kind of plastic. Cover with plastic wrap and do not let to get dry even a bit. Remove wrap as soon as they sprout. Do not use cheap seed starting formula.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Basil is one of those plants that are often hard to get started with but after the first season it comes up all over your garden by itself.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Hoodat, how I wish that were true! Strictly an annual here in upstate NY... Ah, to be in SoCal!

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have some old barnwood from my Gpa in Wyoming, its been dry aging in his yard for years, not rotten at all. I'm going to do those mason jar wall planter things with a few planks and try to have a large indoor herb garden year round.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
I have some old barnwood from my Gpa in Wyoming, its been dry aging in his yard for years, not rotten at all. I'm going to do those mason jar wall planter things with a few planks and try to have a large indoor herb garden year round.
I have seen those, I worry that they don't have any drainage. If you have a glass drill bit you could drill a couple of holes in the bottom it might work, but then it would drip on the floor. I think they are pretty but not very feasible.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Even I can grow basil, I would cover them though.

A lot of time I put soil in a margarine bowl with a lid. Sprinkle the soil with the seed, loosely cover with a little more soil, water and put the lid on for a week. No peeking, then open it and put them under a light. You can't let seeds or seedling dry out when they are sprouting, the cover, whatever type you use keeps the moisture in.

Good luck.

Latest posts