Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m off the roof for the day. I went back up and secured the tarps. There were 2 vents on the other side that didn’t look rain proof to me…..

IMG_4576.jpeg

So I cut a small square of underlayment, then cut a long slot to fit around the vent, laid it on the down slope of the roof, and tacked it down.

IMG_4577.jpeg

Then I cut another one, laid it on the upward slope of the roof, overlapping the first one. Tacked it down. Then put roof pitch, a tar asphalt stuff, around the vent tube.

IMG_4578.jpeg

I’ve had a shower, just gonna sit here and look stupid for awhile…..

Rammy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hot! It’s 99F heat index is 107F

We got 3 sheets of OSB torn off yesterday and 1/2” plywood put on.

My rafters are 2”x2” !!!!! There were some rotten places on the ends of the “rafters”, so I ripped a 2x4 and cut pieces of that. We scabbed in 2x2s next to the rotted parts.

We were hot, soaking wet, took several water breaks and went inside to cool off.

This morning neighbor Chase came back. We tore off 2 sheets of OSB and laid down plywood. Did repairer to “rafters”. We put drip edge along the front edge and laid out one strip of 48” underlayment. It was after 11:15, so we rolled the tarps back out and quit. We sat in the house for an hour, drinking lemonade and ice water. My clothes were still wet.

Two men a mt church convinced me to put on a metal roof. After seeing the rafters, I got to thinking that nobody needs to be walking around on that roof, so I called and checked prices. It only cost $300 more. I placed the order!

I hitched trailer and returned the shingles.

Still have to finish the underlayment on front side of roof. Then pull up rotted OSB on back side of house, put down underlayment.

Then go but 1x4s for lath strips and put those on roof.

Will this ever end?
I have a metal roof. Love it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a metal roof. Love it.

i wish we could have afforded it when we needed to replace the roof here, but the quotes we were getting were 5x the other prices so... on a hexagon shaped roof it would have involved a lot of cutting so i get it that it would not have been an easy job.

as it turned out the people who did the roofing job didn't do it very well in spots and also did not use the correct vents so we had intermittent leaks that took us nearly 12 years to finally get resolved.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just came off the roof. We got all the underlayment on the roof. It was 5 strips. Plus pried up a bad patch job on a skylight that is no longer there. Pried up the whole sheet. I measured and cut 13” off the length of the plywood. Then we put it down, nailed it down. We took lots of breaks, drank lots of water and lemonade. We got it done! Then we covered it all up with the tarps for extra protection. Chance of rain every day this coming week.

I’m tired.

IMG_4579.jpeg

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday after church, I dropped a 2x6 on my foot. Painful, I could barely hobble around. Spent rest of day with foot propped up. Taking today off as well. I’m sore and beat up all over, so a day of rest is a good thing.
I hope your foot feels better soon!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just came off the roof. Worked by myself this morning. I got 2 spans of radiant heat barrier down. Ran out . Need to go buy 2x4s . Got 2 rolls of heat barrier ordered, supposed to be here tomorrow.

Soaking wet, look like I played in a water sprinkler. It would have been more fun!

It’s getting cloudy, might rain.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just came off the roof. Worked by myself this morning. I got 2 spans of radiant heat barrier down. Ran out . Need to go buy 2x4s . Got 2 rolls of heat barrier ordered, supposed to be here tomorrow.

Soaking wet, look like I played in a water sprinkler. It would have been more fun!

It’s getting cloudy, might rain.
Ummm how do you know ow what needto be done when you replace roofs? Have you done this before? Asking because I'm clueless 😂

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ummm how do you know ow what needto be done when you replace roofs? Have you done this before? Asking because I'm clueless 😂
When I was in my early twenties, I moved to the Lufkin area and couldn’t find a job. I went to the employment office for help finding a job. A man walked in looking for help, said he roofed houses and I said, I’ll work! And he hired me. We did tear offs and put back on, new construction, houses and new apartment buildings. I learned the trade. It has served me well through the years. Twice I’ve roofed my own house, this makes the third time. I’ve helped others with their roof, done small storage buildings and saved a lot of money by doing it myself.