Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put Dandelion with her mom and brothers while I was gone. First I penned the boys so she could nurse. Right now they are grazing the driveway. She sucks, but doesn’t seem to get enough before the boys knock her off.

I was surprised her mom took her back. Ewes smell the anus of their young. They know the smell of their own milk, that reinforces that is their lamb. Not their milk smell coming out of that end, must not be their lamb and the ewe will butt it away.

I might be able to do this with supplemental feedings. Lucy is a good mom, it might work.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dandelion is such a cute name! I didn't know they'll die if they have milk while cold. I always learn something new in your thread.
I learned that when I took two cold lambs to the vet for help. He tube fed them, cold. They died in my arms around midnight that night. I didn’t know to warm them up first and neither did he. So in effect, he helped me kill them. It was my second lambing. A few days later, had to put the ewe down for a ruptured prepubic tendon. I sat in the trailer, at the vet, bawling, holding her while she slipped away. Then a few days after that, another ewe had twins, one born with her internal organs on the outside. I had to put that little lamb down. I was a mighty sad shepherd.

Sometimes the hurts seem overwhelming, but I’ll take the hits, I’ll take the hurts, because the joys far outweigh the hurts. I get great joy from my sheep and dogs. I wouldn’t want to miss that.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I left Dandelion with mom and brothers yesterday and took her a bottle. I brought her in for the night. This morning she sucked down FOUR OUNCES! Hungry! I put a diaper on her so she could run around. Carson wanted in and he laid on his towel. He has a bed outside on the porch, but inside, towels are easier to wash.

IMG_4170.jpeg

Dandelion has a full tummy, warm and is sleeping in my lap.

IMG_4171.jpeg

I’ll put her outside with mom and brothers today. I have a couple guys coming to move heavy stuff from sons shipping containers to my portable building. Making progress!

Latest posts