Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, don’t cut the bottom. Get short pieces of rebar, maybe 3 feet, pound in 1 1/2 feet, then there won’t be a big piece sticking up to be ugly. Wire them to the cow panel.

Hog panels are only 34” tall and might be a better option.

IMG_6102.png

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
cattle panel

A gardening neighbor seemed to have a good idea for growing cucumbers on a 5 foot cattle panel. He bent it in the middle at a right angle. It was set like a roof over a 4 foot bed. At least, I think it was 48 inches and a 60" panel.

The 3rd side of a right triangle with 2 sides both of 30 inches is 42.42 inches. The peak of the roof would be 21 inches.

I kept waiting to see weeds growing up through that simple canopy but never did. He had a pretty nice garden and must have been able to weed through the panel early. The canopy of vines would have helped, later.

Another thing I wasn't sure about was how easy it was to find the cucumbers. Might have all worked out.

Steve, & online calculator

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My DD and family came in Saturday night. Son in law put up the last 2 ceiling fans Sunday. I finally have a fan in my bedroom. We had a nice, if short visit and they left at noon. I have the 2 youngest for the week. Monday we went to the grocery store, then to son’s house and got 4 boxes of BJs artwork. I bought 2 binders and plastic page savers. I took pictures out of frames, girls put them into page savers, about 50 of them. I have a bunch that are just that little bit too big, don’t know yet what I’ll do with those. I’m thinking there’s another couple boxes still at son’s house. We made 2 pumpkin pies and ate most of one of them. We finished that one off for breakfast.

Sunday afternoon I saw new neighbors were “in” so we got on the mule and rode over to say hi. They had just bought 2 bee hives. Naturally a bee stung DGD3 on her finger. Had to take a picture to send to her Mom.

IMG_6077.jpeg

Getting hugs from Ewenique helped.

IMG_6078.jpeg

The girls named Ewenique’s twins, Charcoal and Shadow. Shadow was born with a short tail.

IMG_6079.jpeg

Chase had given me 2 goose eggs and I fried them for breakfast. DGD2 loves eggs, DGD3 won’t eat them.

IMG_6088.jpeg

IMG_6089.jpeg

Breakfast! With pumpkin pie of course.

IMG_6091.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was a fine start on a Monday morning. We went outside to get some work done. I needed to get a pen built around the hoop shelter I built. Had 2 cow panels and roll end scraps of sheep and goat wire.

They learned the fine art of zip ties, pulling tight with pliers and cutting off the tail. I put tools in their hands.

IMG_6092.jpeg

IMG_6093.jpeg

They thought driving T-posts looked easy…..

IMG_6094.jpeg

IMG_6096.jpeg

Maybe letting Mamaw drive T-posts was a better idea.
We got a roll end of wire, they cut the zip ties off.

IMG_6098.jpeg

IMG_6099.jpeg

Girl Power!
IMG_6101.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The next day we sorted sheep and put the big fat pregnant girls in the front field. Sheba is their guardian. To help Sheba make the move, I only put her in at night. During the day she goes back to the middle field with the boys. I feed them in the evening then Sheba “goes to work” on night shift. Once they start lambing, she will be full time, to keep the black head vultures away.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thursday morning DGD3 woke up with red itchy eyes. This necessitated a picture to Mom. Mom responded to go buy some eyedrops. Ok, trip to Lufkin, 25 miles away

IMG_6104.jpeg

Got the eye drops and came back. At the first creek crossing on my road is a lot of Wisteria that has gone wild. The girls wanted to see the flowers so I pulled over and we got out. The flowers are beautiful and I picked a couple for the girls.

IMG_6107.jpeg

IMG_6108.jpeg

IMG_6109.jpeg

I explained to the girls that I would NEVER plant Wisteria on my property for this very reason. Even if carefully pruned, Wisteria will pop up in the yard, growing from the roots. It is an invasive plant.

We got back in the car. It made a noise, I had got a vine wrapped around the axle. I broke it off, car still made noise, I drove it home. I tried to get the vine unwrapped, couldn’t see what I was doing. I laid on ground, my head wouldn’t fit under car. I was muttering to myself about foolish purchase of low sling car…. Sent Chris a text, explaining what happened, needed ramps. He texted back, said he’d be over in about 30 minutes. I went inside to make a couple of pumpkin pies.

Chris showed up, I drove car up on ramps. Low slung POS barely cleared ramps. Chris crawled under the car, unwrapped the vine and even dislodged big chunks of dried mud from inside of wheels. Gee, wonder where that came from? LOL

Pies came out of oven, I wrapped them up for him and his brother. Everybody happy.

Later we walked to mailbox and came back. A honeybee flew up my nostril! I put my finger on the other nostril and started snorting, trying to dislodge the bee that was really pissed off, buzzing inside my nose. Finally blew it out and it stung me. What made my nostril look good to a bee?

Girls played with dogs, petted sheep, played in dirt and had a great time. They watched a lot of cartoons, ate in front of the TV, I need to mop the floor…..

IMG_6111.jpeg

IMG_6114.jpeg

Went to my sister’s house yesterday to give girls back to their parents. Had a short visit. Sister’s house is looking beautiful. She is doing a kitchen make over and it’s gorgeous.

Woke up this morning at 2AM. I’m done with coffee, still dark outside. Been storming for 2 1/2 hours, has stopped now. Waiting on daylight. Been pouring buckets, hard rain. County graded road Wednesday, it’s probably slush. Church this morning, don’t want to risk the car, I do enough terrible things to it. Diesel truck is not 4WD, it would just slide off in the newly dug ditches. So I’ll take the Kawasaki mule to church this morning. I’ll wear overalls, no point in even being so stupid to wear a dress or skirt. No nice clothes this morning!

Eewww…… Just thought of something, mule is parked outside. It’s gonna be wet, guess I’ll sit on a feed sack so my butt doesn’t get wet.