Baymule’s Farm

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jenga for new born lambs--- what a great idea! 😂

take the blocks of wood and boil them in yogurt for a half hour, let sun dry, knock dust off, can then claim they are probiotic infused... not that there will be anything alive of note, but it would be a marketing gimmick and being able to sell scrap lumber at a premium. market potential == 5 people? :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lambs chew everything. Shoes, blinds, my expensive leather sleeper sofa, electrical cords, you name it. Toddlers with 4 legs. Have to constantly watch them!

i know you mean all of this in fun and humor and all that, but for those who maybe haven't had this happen to them yet it might be worth nattering on about a bit... (if you think not skip this :) )...

well of course! you've taken them from a yummy world outside where nature provides food almost everywhere and put them indoors where there's nothing much of nutritional value. i'm pretty sure that is why you need to crate them when you're not there or you'd not have much of anything left when you got back.

Pouring rain, still dark, waiting on daylight so I can go check on sheep.

:) every day is a new adventure... :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wednesday after the rains, they got to go outside. They nibbled the grass, at 6 days old, still too young to actually eat it. They followed me around.

IMG_6350.jpeg

But Carson proved to be their trainer, teaching them how to go up and down the steps. They wanted to follow him around. Monkey see, monkey do. Soon they were scampering up and down.

That’s a long ways down!

IMG_6354.jpeg

IMG_6360.jpeg

IMG_6366.jpeg

IMG_6357.jpeg

IMG_6369.jpeg

IMG_6371.jpeg

The lambs played until they wore themselves out. Then they piled up in Carson’s bed for a nap.

Yesterday they were out in the yard all day, I fed them their bottles outside.

Yesterday morning Patches surprised me by jumping up in my lap. She jumped down, jumped back down. I starting to feel like a trampoline but she soon snuggled up and went to sleep.

IMG_6374.jpeg

Yesterday evening my neighbor came and got them, I’ll be gone today and tomorrow. We loaded up their bottles, jugs of milk, potty pads, Depends and dog crate. Lambs rode in the front seat with him. LOL

They have raised bottle lambs before, lambs will be well cared for while I’m gone. They have a fenced back yard for the lambs to play in.

I’ll be leaving them mostly outside. But if I go to town or leave for any reason, they will be inside. Carson is good, but as a cross of 2 hunting breeds, he alerts and stalks them. He wants to love them, so it’s a tug of war between instinct and abnormal. I won’t leave him alone with them.

Outside in the yard for several weeks, then maybe in the field with the other sheep. The problem with that is that Ruby and Pearl might try to cling to their mother, who doesn’t have enough milk for all 3, and would probably reject them. Then they might not take the bottles, and keep trying to nurse mom, and get malnourished. I might have to wait until they are weaned to return them to the flock. And that’s another problem. I’m leaving May 10 to go to Ireland and Scottland with DD and my sister. Be back on 20th. Lambs will be 5 weeks old May 9. I have an outside pen they could stay in, by then they will be eating feed, grass and hay. A supplement bottle and they should be fine.

But for now, it’s bottles every 2 1/2 hours and loads of cuteness.

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wednesday after the rains, they got to go outside. They nibbled the grass, at 6 days old, still too young to actually eat it. They followed me around.

View attachment 65157

But Carson proved to be their trainer, teaching them how to go up and down the steps. They wanted to follow him around. Monkey see, monkey do. Soon they were scampering up and down.

That’s a long ways down!

View attachment 65158

View attachment 65160

View attachment 65161

View attachment 65159

View attachment 65162

View attachment 65163

The lambs played until they wore themselves out. Then they piled up in Carson’s bed for a nap.

Yesterday they were out in the yard all day, I fed them their bottles outside.

Yesterday morning Patches surprised me by jumping up in my lap. She jumped down, jumped back down. I starting to feel like a trampoline but she soon snuggled up and went to sleep.

View attachment 65164

Yesterday evening my neighbor came and got them, I’ll be gone today and tomorrow. We loaded up their bottles, jugs of milk, potty pads, Depends and dog crate. Lambs rode in the front seat with him. LOL

They have raised bottle lambs before, lambs will be well cared for while I’m gone. They have a fenced back yard for the lambs to play in.

I’ll be leaving them mostly outside. But if I go to town or leave for any reason, they will be inside. Carson is good, but as a cross of 2 hunting breeds, he alerts and stalks them. He wants to love them, so it’s a tug of war between instinct and abnormal. I won’t leave him alone with them.

Outside in the yard for several weeks, then maybe in the field with the other sheep. The problem with that is that Ruby and Pearl might try to cling to their mother, who doesn’t have enough milk for all 3, and would probably reject them. Then they might not take the bottles, and keep trying to nurse mom, and get malnourished. I might have to wait until they are weaned to return them to the flock. And that’s another problem. I’m leaving May 10 to go to Ireland and Scottland with DD and my sister. Be back on 20th. Lambs will be 5 weeks old May 9. I have an outside pen they could stay in, by then they will be eating feed, grass and hay. A supplement bottle and they should be fine.

But for now, it’s bottles every 2 1/2 hours and loads of cuteness.
Thank you so much for sharing all this wonderful adventure. Such a joy to see all those babies.
Have a great trip. Waiting the nextround of this adventure

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thursday night, I think Carson was missing the lambs. He went to the towel I had under the dog crate and sniffed it all over. Then he laid down on it.

IMG_6383.jpeg

I went to the sheep seminar and had a great time. I took a black ewe that a friend wanted and she brought me a red ewe to trade.

I got there first and unloaded my ewe and dragged her to the pen.

IMG_6385.jpeg

My friend got there with 2 of her kids. Cassandra ran to me, arms open, for a big hug. Dominic was told to stay in the car while we unloaded sheep. He yelled out, Miss Dana! It’s been so long since I’ve SEEN you!! They were so cute. We got her sheep unloaded and put in pens. Grandparents showed and took the kids to spend the weekend with them.

The seminar was very good. Lots of knowledgeable speakers, a silent auction and hamburgers for lunch. It was over at 3:30. Then we loaded up sheep, cleaned pens and left. I got home at 7:15. My son just carried my ewe to a pen. My friends brought back my lambs. They have spent most of the day outside.

I opened a new part of the field and the ewes and lambs ran to graze the fresh grass.

IMG_6397.jpeg

IMG_6396.jpeg

I have 3 more due, on the 18th and 20th.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I slaughtered 6 more of the Cornish Cross chickens and hand picked them. They have gotten so big, the picking drum machine would have broken wings and legs. I got 4 processed and in the freezer. Going to get the last 6 slaughtered today and as many as I can processed and in the freezer. It’s a tiresome job. But it’s a great way to stock the freezer in a short time with lots of high quality meat. I have 20 chickens sold. I’ll give most of the rest to DD and family, son wants a whole chicken. He doesn’t eat much chicken so I was surprised, but he will get his whole chicken. The rest will be cut up and parted out.

Lambs are spending days in the yard. I put a pan of feed and alfalfa in the yard yesterday and they were nibbling on it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started the bottle lambs on pellets, alfalfa, azomite mineral, dolomite lime and stock salt trace mineral, yesterday. This morning they ate on it better than yesterday.

IMG_6409.jpeg

I went to town to get ice and took these pictures from the road in front of my place.

IMG_6411.jpeg

IMG_6412.jpeg

IMG_6413.jpeg

IMG_6414.jpeg

Sheba is on watch!

IMG_6416.jpeg

Latest posts