bee balm

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone that can give me information on it, would be appreciated.

Bought 3 plants last year, planted them in spring, got freak snow, they died. Are they hardy at all once established? Do you need plants or will they start from seeds?

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put in three teensy plants two summers ago. They were okay the first summer, but last summer they were terrific! They were about waist high and full of blooms. The bees went crazy over 'em.

lala land

Sprout
Reaction score
I've noticed the hybridized hybrids aren't as hardy as the first round of hybrids, and of course not as hardy as the native bee balms.

I live in zone 3 and have ferocious winters, but the native monarda comes back and reseeds like the dickens. The deep red/scarlet does ok, but some of the other two I tried didn't make it.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree, lala land. The natives are hardy to zone 3, most of the hybrids to zone 4.

Bee Balm is very hardy for me. I've collected several types from local plant swaps over the years... Raspberry Wine, Violet Queen, Blue Stocking, Pink Delight, and Scarlet (native).
The only one I lost was white.

'Panorama' is a seed propagated hybrid (comes true from seed), available at many sources... Parks, Swallowtail Seeds... I think I've even seen it on the seed racks here. I've not started it from seed tho.

I have it planted in full sun and part shade, seems to do fine in both, but it does not tolerate drought. Well drained, normal to moist soil is best. I would keep new plants watered very well until they establish.

It is very prone to powdery mildew ( 'Jacob Kline' and 'Raspberry Wine' are more resistant)... I thin the clumps out good in Spring and usually don't have a problem til late in the season unless it's a very wet summer.

Give it plenty of room... once it's established you will have plenty to share! The hummers love it! ... and I do too! ... :happy_flower

Here's a good link if you get into the native species thing... Bee Balm/Monarda

Latest posts