Bees to fruit trees

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried the mason bee house- have had it hanging for a couple years... no bees! Hope you have better luck.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Don't kill your dandilions. ABOVE ALL ELSE a bee loves the dandilion. The bees have worked your fruit trees, they are after the pollen and nectar and after it is gone they are off to find another supply for their winter stock. Black locust trees, Tulip Poplar are bountiful in my area and bees will come to them. Also pussy willow trees. Not sure what area you are in so I don't have specifics.

Wow, I learned a lot a bee keeping class!

kevs-chickadees

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We live in Arizona, just south east of Phoenix. I would love to keep some bees and we were this close to doing it. Problem for us is we live in the city and have only chain link fences separating us from the neighbors. I've read you can order non aggressive ones but I still think the neighbors would complain. Doesn't help either that last week 2 students were attacked by 2 separate swarms and "they" are blaming the amateur home bee keeper. Who knows if they provoked them? I might still do it if I could find some classes locally and I could keep the colony size fairly small easily.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
kevs-chickadees said:
We live in Arizona, just south east of Phoenix. I would love to keep some bees and we were this close to doing it. Problem for us is we live in the city and have only chain link fences separating us from the neighbors. I've read you can order non aggressive ones but I still think the neighbors would complain. Doesn't help either that last week 2 students were attacked by 2 separate swarms and "they" are blaming the amateur home bee keeper. Who knows if they provoked them? I might still do it if I could find some classes locally and I could keep the colony size fairly small easily.
Here in WV legislation was passed in 2011 that as long as you, the beekeeper, does a few common sense things, like not putting your hive under the neighbors kitchen window type thing, you can not be sued. The judge will rule the suit frivolous. Don't get bees from the south, they have Africanized bees there. The furthest our chapter orders from is Georgia. Texas has africanized bees from what I understand.

Keeping the colony small and alive is not an easy task. It's seasonal, if there is plenty of nectar flow, meaning a good spring and lots of bloom your bees will reproduce quicker. I'd say take the class, I did this year and will get my equipment throughout 2012 and add my bees in 4-2013. It's an investment for sure, but local honey and pollinators are too tempting to pass on.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much support is out there for the local beekeeper. Check your State Ag bulletin, most local chapters are having classes now.

dennis2021

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Become a beekeeper, the rewards are endless. You will love the Honey!!!!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
kevs-chickadees said:
Hello, I was reading some of the ways of attracting bees to the garden area and was wondering if it work for the tree blossoms as well? My early season peach tree had bees all over it but now that all those blossoms are gone the bees have moved on.:( Any ideas? Thanks
I bought an organic product that you spray on that is supposed to attract bees.
I think from Gardens Alive.

Latest posts