Berry early delivery? Strawberry advice!!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
This morning after the kids all got on the bus I went out to grab my newspaper, I find two boxes!?! Since it is before 7:30 I doubt they were delivered this morning and yesterday was Sunday. {confusion} I am certain I didn't see them yesterday. I brought them in, one was my two new blueberry bushes, the other my strawberries! The strawberries look wilted and frozen any luck these 25 everbearing plants will be able to be saved? If so what do I do outside is to cold and I didn't plan on them being here before i was planting??
I would call and complain and ask for plants delivered at the appropriate time for your zone. What company did this?

Yulan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Blueberries look good I have been messing with them for years! The leaves look bad on blueberries but roots still seem viable, strawberries this is my first year. I purchased through eBay so I am not really covered there. I called ups and filed a claim.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blueberries look good I have been messing with them for years! The leaves look bad on blueberries but roots still seem viable, strawberries this is my first year. I purchased through eBay so I am not really covered there. I called ups and filed a claim.
Ebay sellers should make good on the plants. I would not buy live plants from ebay-buy from a farm.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Yulan and welcome! :frow

I second what So Lucky said about the crown of the strawberries...they may have only lost their leaves and could bounce back easily. If they are dry, dampen a papertowel and wrap around them and put them in an slightly open gallon ziploc bag (or original bag they came in) and put them in the crisper drawer of your fridge until better weather when you can plant. You should be ok to store them like that for about 3-4 weeks if needed, just don't let them dry out (or get too soggy either.)

The blueberries should be fine. If you can dig the ground, go ahead and plant them. If not, check to make sure there is adequate moisture either in the pots they came in or in the saw dust/moss they were packed with if bareroot. If not, give just a little water, not soggy. If in a pot, wrap the whole pot with a plastic bag, tie snug at the soil line enclosing the pot but not the branches and store in an unheated garage, basement or other cool place, out of direct sunlight. Then get them planted at first opportunity when the weather allows.

March seems awfully early to be shipping those things to NY, I'd think.