BIG TIRES - the Gardeners Friend

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a never ending supply of tires from my friend, the race car driver. These are some big 'ol donuts, too - they stand almost 2 feet tall!

Heres how I whip them into shape:

tire1.jpg

This is the raw material - a racing tire. See how big it is?!

tire2.jpg

THis is where to start - the knife plunge. These tires have NO steel belts in the them, so this is easier than with a regular car tire.

tire3.jpg

The cut around the tread circumference almost completed. With a serrated knife, this stuff cuts almost like butter. Well, alright... not that easily. But it's not bad.

tire4.jpg

Now for the "flip". You fold the inside out by getting one segment started, and then working around the tire as you step on the rubber with your foot. It's not too hard, if you like wrestling gators.

soilprep.jpg

Heres the good stuff that's going in it!

DSCF0084.jpg

And here is the end result. The blue pieces are sections of a plastic drum. I cut it down, the bottom half becoming my water barrel, there on the right. The barrel lid is a tire sidewall with a topsoil plastic bag stretched over it.

You can see it is kinda wild in this part of the yard. There are also too many trees nearby, giving more shade than I like. The plants get only about half a day of direct sun, but it is sheltered and so pretty intense. I'd have to cut down the trees to change that, more job than I care to tackle. If we stay in this house, I'll use winter and early varieties next time, hoping they'll fare well with the reduced sun.

Before I started working here during late winter, it was over my head - completely overgrown and trying to revert back to forest. I figure I'll have it in shape by the year 2018 :)

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You don't worry about icky racetrack goo getting into the soil? Or do you just use for non-edibles? Why do you turn it inside out?

PS: I can't help but notice that handy-dandy cart with the brand new wheels! ;)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! :woot You made a good use with those tires, better than just throwing them away. What are you going to plant?, my first thought was potatoes.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
GrowinVeggiesInSC said:
You don't worry about icky racetrack goo getting into the soil? Or do you just use for non-edibles? Why do you turn it inside out?

PS: I can't help but notice that handy-dandy cart with the brand new wheels! ;)
Well, yeah, kinda. So far the plants are growing like weeds in the second tire field I have, so it doesnt seem to bother them. Whether it bothers me remains to be seen.
I read that the longer the tires sit out on the weather, the more anything bad is leached off. These are all weatherbeaten by the time I get them.

You turn it inside out so the ugly tread doesnt show; alot of people paint them so they look nicer. But now that you've brought it up, I may stop doing that....

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Wow! :woot You made a good use with those tires, better than just throwing them away. What are you going to plant?, my first thought was potatoes.
I've planted everything in them, from melons to eggplant. They heat up in the sun and are well suited to warm rooted summer veggies.
Ive seen potatoes grown in them, too. I hadnt planned to try that, but who knows?

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
so funny......I have one very larger tractor tire in my garden where I planted 12 tomato plants and 3 honeydew. Mine probably stands 2-3 feet high but will be nice not to have to bend over to pick and the honeydew will grow down the side. Talking to my son tonight I find out my dad has at least a dozen tractor trailer tires, perfect for watermelon I figure, no digging in the ground.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was surprised how much thought people put into re-using tires. There is a mini "culture" surrounding it.
Just google 'tire gardening' and you will be amazed

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I read that plants grow faster in tires, because of all the warmth the roots recieve. Tires can really heat up in the summer!

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Chicken_Boy said:
I read that plants grow faster in tires, because of all the warmth the roots recieve. Tires can really heat up in the summer!
Same here. Thats why the marrow and nightshade families do so well - they love warm roots.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
that looks great thanks so much for sharing your photos!

I had a neighbor who turned them inside out as well and cut points so they looked like open tire flowers

one year we pulled a bunch of them out of the woods and I grew potatoes in them ...it was amazing how big the plants grew and how many tires I ended up stacking! when they were ready I tipped the tires over and the potatoes poured out!

I would not worry about the goo on the tires if you wash them well with a good soap ..they should be fine... they are mostly rubber and quite safe I would think ..just rubber planters is all

I have some spots that tires would work well in I think I am going to follow your lead and start picking them up again when I see them

thanks so much for the inspiration! :) next year I will try melons in them for sure!

Latest posts