Black eyed suzies! moved themselves!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted Black eyed suzies, a beautiful perennial I hoped would make my hill more attractive:cool: I have found them every where but where I planted them! :thin the driveway, the yard at the top of the hill, in the garden!! what is going on:hu
Black Eyed Susans, or Rudbeckia, behave more like an annual or sometimes a biennial. They reseed heartily which is probably what you are experiencing. I never get rid of my seeds from the plants. I throw them where I may want them to bloom. I am across from a riverbank and always throw all my deadheads there in the fall.
(I own the land) It has resulted in what looks like a beautiful patch of wildflowers growing. It is however cultivated plants that have self sown. I have found quite a few poppies there which I move to my perennial beds. Having a place to throw seed pods is a great way to get easy free plants.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Rudbeckias are Goldsturm, and are truly hardy perennials. My clump has reached the size of a love seat from planting 3 from 1 gallon pots several years ago.

I just discovered that there are 25(!) species of Rudbeckia. I have another version of them, and I don't remember their name, but they get about 6 feet tall with large soft blooms. Maybe it's laciniata?

ETA- Yep, yep, looked them up and that's them!

Last edited:

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My black eyed susans came from a wildflower seed mix, I've moved them around the yard and now they come back every year. I have a bunch in the back of the yard, near a bird feeder that the goldfinches love.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NIce I only have 2 or three little batches but I just started them last year so maybe this year they will spread better

Latest posts