Blueberry/Raspberry/Blackberry plants..Do they need full sun?

redhen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We really want to plant some of these plants/bushes. But we have such a small yard. What we DO have though is plenty of space in our woods. :D Can we plant them in the woods in a semi-shaded area? Or do they need full sun to thrive? Thanks for any help. Edited to add: I live in Western MA. incase that makes a differance at all..

Nyappy Garden

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not that sure, but I have a few raspberries in a pretty shaded area and get berries. It has never gotten many, but i think that is due to the fact I didn't know you were supposed to cut the canes way back in fall or whenever.

redhen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Okay thanks! I do have a sunnier spot i could put the blueberries. We're going to buy some plants this weekend..any specific type i should look for for a small yard area?

cherokeechicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
where i am at ..alabama. we grow our berries in full sun. and we always get a bumper crop. the limbs of the blueberries are so heavy i had to prop them up with sticks this year. also the full sun helps them to ripen.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there!

I definitely grow all my fruit canes & bushes in full sun. The only exception is alpine strawberries which will grow in dappled shade (because they are woodland plants). Of course you will get some fruit in shade but........! The sun is what gives the fruit it's special taste & goodness which, after all, is why we grow it! :D

Good Luck with finding enough room in the sun for your fruit! :coolsun
It will also get better pollination out in the open! :bee :bee :bee

:rose Hattie :rose

tryingtohaveitall

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If you do plant blueberries, they prefer an acidic soil. Ours is very alkaline so I added sulfur when I planted and they seem to be doing well. Better than the ones I planted last year without adding sulfur, anyway. :)

Latest posts