Bougainvillea flowering, again.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
My bougainvillea flowered on the first of January, the flowers lasted a few weeks and then the plant went dormant.

Four months later it is flowering again. I have no idea of what the variety is, but it has no thorns at all.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was cut WAY back while dormant because I did not want a large plant, however, it is taking off again, so I guess I will have to find some space to accommodate it. I have a lot to learn about Bougainvillea, as this is my first one.
jackb

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't tell me that is planted in soil, Jackb! So unlike you! That is a beauty. I was surprised to learn that those plants will live on and on. I have one in my office that I have been bringing in every year, for quite a few seasons. The plant that keeps on giving!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't tell me that is planted in soil, Jackb! So unlike you! That is a beauty. I was surprised to learn that those plants will live on and on. I have one in my office that I have been bringing in every year, for quite a few seasons. The plant that keeps on giving!
Not exactly soil, but something close.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Greetings Jack, Great looking! Years ago mom wanted me to cut back the bougainvillea at some of her rentals.
I waded into the lovely mass. Later that day when all the trimmings were loaded on the truck, I looked like I had been in a fight with a pack of wild cats. I had cut every where except the soles of my feet.
Bougainvillea is beautiful ~ but it can be deadly, can't it?

Richard

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greetings Jack, Great looking! Years ago mom wanted me to cut back the bougainvillea at some of her rentals.
I waded into the lovely mass. Later that day when all the trimmings were loaded on the truck, I looked like I had been in a fight with a pack of wild cats. I had cut every where except the soles of my feet.
Bougainvillea is beautiful ~ but it can be deadly, can't it?

Richard

Yes, I had heard that, but this one has no thorns, at least presently. I cut it way back when it flowered the first time and it had no thorns then either. It was purchased from a bonsai grower and intended to be a bonsai, but I wanted it to be a hanging plant so I let it go. It has only been in my collection since early fall so I have to see what it is going to do.
jackb

Latest posts