Boxwood vs. Japanese Holly?

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was looking at shrubbery today, with the assumption that it was boxwood that I was after. I'm going for a random, cottage garden-like look along the walk to my house, and was thinking about letting a few boxwood go wild & ungroomed to fill in space & add texture. Not really after the traditional boxwood border-type thing, where I've got to prune & shape them all the time. But the smooth Japanese Holly bushes caught my eye--honestly, until I got very close, I thought they were boxwood--not the least because the Holly was cheap ($7.50 for a 5 gallon pot! As compared to $18.99 for 2.5 gallon boxwood).

Any thoughts on why I should not go back to the store and snatch up half a dozen Japanese Holly instead of the boxwood? Will I hate the Holly later if it's the look of boxwood that I was after? I'm frugal to the core, and if I can get the look I want for less than half the price of the boxwood, I'm all about it. Besides, that will leave me more cash for mulch....and more plants. :lol:

Thanks! :)

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmm...that's a hard choice! I have both growing and like them both. Altho I prefer boxwood for a mass planting. But it's hard to beat a deal like that! So...I guess I will be of no help. :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ooooh... I am useless too. I go for deals because I will do something with it, somewhere... you know?! :rolleyes: Sucker for a deal I am!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my zone 4, boxwood takes forever to grow into much of anything... I suppose that is not such a problem where you are. If the Japanese Holly has those pointy leaves, I vote no. When they fall off in the garden and you accidentally grab them they are very sharp. (Maybe that is why they are called "smooth" because the leaves aren't pointed?) Good luck with your choice and we would love to see pics of your decision...

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, my decision was made for me when I went back to the store and all of the super cheap holly was gone! :lol: That's what I get for taking the time to think about it. You should never think that hard about a really good deal, huh?

The holly was the type with oval-shaped leaves w/no spikes. Very boxwood-like. That's ok though, the more I think about it, the more I think I'll forgo the shrubs altogether. Saves room for more flowers...;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shrubs are nice when the garden is empty- but once you really get going with flowers, you'll be happy you have the extra room!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Shrubs are nice when the garden is empty- but once you really get going with flowers, you'll be happy you have the extra room!
AGreed! If my shrubs don't flower... I really don't want them. I have hydrangea and azealas so I can enjoy some color some of the year... I do have to insist on those sky pencil shrubs... they are nice and skinny and you can stick them in anywhere just for height. :)

Latest posts