Broken Pear Tree! Help!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, today I was having some gravel dumped for our chicken runs to keep them from getting so nasty.

Well, hubby went off to get the $$ for the gravel and wasn't home when he got here, and I was working, so, he backed into the yard on his own and was going to dump it... but....

He backed right into my pear tree that ACTUALLY had pears on it that the frost didn't get this year! :ep

It snapped the trunk in half about 5 inches above the soil.

Do you think it can be repaired?? If so, how so?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Gaaaaaaaah! That's awful. Its completely totally snapped in 2 separate pieces? That...doesnt really sound fixable to me, but i'm not a fruit tree person...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any technique to reattach the piece that broke off, not something that big. I would expect it to send sprouts off the trunk.

As long as what comes back is above the graft you have a chance. Any sprouts below the graft will be rootstock and almost certainly not something you want. You'll need to keep anything below the graft pruned off.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is this pear tree grafted ? If so, it can be saved but it will take several years before it will look like a normal ( character trunk ) tree again. (If the break is below the graft, just dig it out and start over). First cut off a little of the trunk off to a non frayed area then let the remaining grafted top grow as it will ( prune off all of the lower branches every year) but tie the top most branch upwards to form a new trunk to a height that you want it to branch out. Wala new tree. However , I would just dig it up and plant a new tree for much faster results in obtaining any fruit yield. Good luck !

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am assuming that the tree was grafted since most are. It may still be possible -- not easy but possible -- to save the pear tree. First re-cut the trunk evenly. If it was "Pruned" above the graft, any new shoots above the graft will be the same variety and all is good (if not timely). If it was pruned below the graft you could try grafting four or five small pieces off the top to the bottom. If they catch, leave the strongest one to grow into your new leader.

Any chance you can get reimbursed by the gravel company for damages? It would certainly be best to get a different tree than to play around with this one. A real bummer!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I contacted my friend, who is the local master gardener for our county, showed her a picture of it and she said it wasn't salvageable. :hit

We already ordered a new 2-n-1 from Stark Bros, should be here next week. Should also bear fruit in 2-3 years, which is HALF the time as the others, and since it's 2 grafts of complimentary pears, it's "self pollinating!" Not exactly what I wanted to happen.. but the bunnies were really happy with the branches today. :confused:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'm so sorry! You should get some fruit next year on it. I did on the Bartlett pear that I planted. In fact, I pruned it this Spring and it had doubled in height from when I bought it.
Sometimes we just need to monitor our spouses from helping too much in the garden. =b

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I contacted my friend, who is the local master gardener for our county, showed her a picture of it and she said it wasn't salvageable. :hit

As soon as I read your post, I thought, Yikes.. that tree had met it's end..
You can often buy nursery trees that are 3 year old's. Little more expensive, but they bear fruit much faster.

Latest posts