Burning bermuda thatch

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My lawn is mainly bermuda. I was thinking of burning off the thatch. I remember when a trash fire spread in my backyard one year, and it burned the thatch out. The following grass that came was beautiful and lush. Just wondered if anyone here has any opinion on burning bermuda thatch.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have never done this, but I see it done here often. I'm assuming they get good results or I wouldn't see it.

We have centipede grass... I wish I could burn it all and have lush gardens rather then lawn altogether! :rolleyes:

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet it would work great. Farmers out here used to burn the grass fields in late summer, and the grass looked great come spring time. They have banned grass burning in Wa. state now though. I can still see the smoke plumes from Idaho though. Good luck with your yard.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Many Oklahoma pastures are bermuda. They make it a practice of burning off the thatch every two or three years and it always seems to come back nice and green. Most of the minerals that were in the thatch remain in the ashes for rain to reincorporate it so it doesn't really rob the soil.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Even if burning is allowed, be sure it's not too late in the season or the fresh growing tips can be damaged. Burning of grasslands is a proven management tool, but timing is everything - what species you want to encourage/discourage by burning time of year.

Unfortunately, it isn't too great for those of us with lung problems. Air quality issues have made for some serious restrictions here in Georgia. And wildfires really aren't any fun. Georgia requires a phone-in burn permit with the state during the allowed burn season.

Up close to your house, I would really be concerned about controlling it.

Latest posts