C55 H70 Mg N4 O6

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree Steve, different reasons to do different things. On clay, I'd add all the sand, fiber I could. I'm on gravel/sand, so I have to cover my soil to keep it from becoming sun scalded.

Want to see plant fiber disappear almost over night? Mix up a solution of manure and water and coat the fibers. Water, microbes, oxygen, nitrogen, a composting dream.

Something I've always thought about is to see the effectiveness of using goat manure vs. hog or chicken manure as each stomach would carry a different strain of microbes. For breaking fiber, I'd speculate, goat the best. In Ag, we have huge problem getting residue to break down. Ways that are effective, expensive and the concept of covering huge corn/wheat acres with manure slurry, makes most farmers shudder just thinking of all the lawyers lining up to sue. People leave towns and complain about manure! Where are we suppose to soread it? In septic systems? Don't think so!

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used a lot of mulch last summer and I could tell a difference with the earth worm activity. I cut green corn stalks and laid them on the green bean garden. They helped to hold down the weeds and now they are almost completely gone. Very interesting discussion @seedcorn and @digitS' :thumbsup

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have goats....I have chickens....
how would somebody implement your idea on a small scale Seed? I'd be interested.
At least theoretically. :D

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have goats....I have chickens....
how would somebody implement your idea on a small scale Seed? I'd be interested.
At least theoretically. :D
Easy, just mix manure with water, apply to dead plants. See which deteriorates first. For small scale, I'd use a sprinkler can, apply to corn stalks. To get it started, I'd add some nitrogen source-28% or liquid ammonia.. If you had 2 compost piles (or 2 piles of leaves/grass clippings), wet it down. In case of dry fall, may need to add more water. For decomposition, need moisture, microbes, nitrogen and oxygen. Anaerobic works in septic but not in open piles. Manure adds microbes, some nitrogen, water is moisture and air is oxygen. The added nitrogen would just give the microbes theincentive to get with it.

If you do this, report results. Please, please, please

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, Seedcorn, let's see if I get this:
leaves.......................check
nitrogen....................check
wet(rain or water hose)..check
air...........................check

My set up is 12'x8', my chicken run filled with leaves. Leaves, from neighbors behind us, nitrogen-from the chicken poop, wet-snow, rain, water hose, air-I toss hen scratch and other goodies in the leaves and the girls dig in, scratch the leaves to bits and reduce 4' of leaves to 6" of fine black crumbly richness.

I also have two leaf piles in the front yard mixed with horse manure and rotten hay. I planted potatoes in them last week. I can tall you from last year that this works and it works fabulously!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Easy, just mix manure with water, apply to dead plants. See which deteriorates first. For small scale, I'd use a sprinkler can, apply to corn stalks. To get it started, I'd add some nitrogen source-28% or liquid ammonia.. If you had 2 compost piles (or 2 piles of leaves/grass clippings), wet it down. In
case of dry fall, may need to add more water. For decomposition, need moisture, microbes, nitrogen and oxygen. Anaerobic works in septic but
not in open piles. Manure adds microbes, some nitrogen, water is moisture and air is oxygen. The added nitrogen would just give the microbes theincentive to get with it.

If you do this, report results. Please, please, please

I'd like to see the outcome of something like this myself....I won't promise because I know how all the great plans/ideas I have in the winter die a lingering death when the season is upon us and I'm crazy busy and so, so tired.
But maybe, just maybe...:)

eta- it may be possible to do this in the late spring as I typically clean up leaves from a few places before the summer rush is on.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
:)
OK, Seedcorn, let's see if I get this:
leaves.......................check
nitrogen....................check
wet(rain or water hose)..check
air...........................check

My set up is 12'x8', my chicken run filled with leaves. Leaves, from neighbors behind us, nitrogen-from the chicken poop, wet-snow, rain, water hose, air-I toss hen scratch and other goodies in the leaves and the girls dig in, scratch the leaves to bits and reduce 4' of leaves to 6" of fine black crumbly richness.

I also have two leaf piles in the front yard mixed with horse manure and rotten hay. I planted potatoes in them last week. I can tall you from last year that this works and it works fabulously!

I believe this as why wouldn't it work? By the time it gets through a horse (composter on legs) it's almost perfect... Horse has to be good for something..... :)

Latest posts