Can I grow pinto beans on chainlink fence?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grow pole beans on my garden fence, Blue Lake for green beans. It's a woven wire that looks like chicken wire but a heavier gauge and the holes are maybe 1-1/2" across. The biggest problem is the next winter. I have to break the dead bean vines out of that fence to clean it up for the next season. They weave in and out of the holes.

The reason the pintos you'd buy at the grocer are almost certainly bush is so they can be harvested by machine.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grow pole beans on my chain link fence. No problem. I grow all kinds of things on my fence- hops, morning glories, bird house gourds, etc. The only downside, if you like a neat look in the winter-it is quite a job to get all the dead stems out of the chain link. Enjoy!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Probably a semi runner type would be best. They usually grow to around three or four feet. I grow a purple bean that goes to around 5 feet.The only problem I see would be getting the dead vines untangled at the end of the season.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I quickly burn dead vines to get them off of fencing. It will leave a black color on the fencing, but the fencing will remain usable and the plant material will be off of it fast.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could also "shave" it with a weed whip. That breaks the dried vines into bits pretty quick. Then use a stiff broom
to work all the busted stuff off.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hah, i was just outside raking the yard...decided to attack all the dead bindweed on my fence with the leaf rake, worked pretty good!! I have a challenging time getting my pole bean vines off though, they grow very thick stems that even now in the spring sometimes i cant break by hand. I end up unwinding small pieces of them...that's tedious. A flame thrower, however, sounds pretty interesting...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
And that's why I grow my bean vines on a hay twine web tied to T-posts. After they freeze and die, I cut the hay twine off the T-posts and drag the vined web to the driveway. I fold it in half, stomp it, fold in half, stomp it, fold in half, stomp it......until it will fit in a large trash bag. Done.

I HATE PICKING DEAD VINES OFF A FENCE! :he

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Because of all the plastic hay twine in it. The hay twine comes off the round bales I feed to my horses, might as well use some of it.

Latest posts