Can openers

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we had the same can opener for my entire childhood... I've gone through 3 in the last 6 months. The teeth keep stripping so that they don't meet up and turn the blade. I don't think I'm particularly hard on can openers. What happened to things that last? I'm so tired of buying things just to have them break almost as soon as I get them home! I'm going to start searching yard sales for a can opener that was made BEFORE the 80's. Grrr...:he

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine last forever! Well, except the electric one somebody got me for christmas back in the 80's. I have also used a P-38 since I got married in 78...eventually...got divorced...kept the can opener. Now, I switched to a cranky one with a big red hangle. More ergonomic. For theses pre-arthritic fingers. I still have the P-38...but it is just my spare. The same one I got when I was married. Ex was active duty.....they came with the C-rations back then.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
While it is a bit pricey, the Oxo can opener has got to be one of the best I have ever owned. Opens the side of the can and leaves a smooth edge. Plus, it was a gift, so it didn't cost me anything.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also have an OXO LOVE it. No more sharp edges to cut fingers on. I have had it since they introduced this this style opener. I think I bought it at Target.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
I'm pretty sure we had the same can opener for my entire childhood... I've gone through 3 in the last 6 months. The teeth keep stripping so that they don't meet up and turn the blade. I don't think I'm particularly hard on can openers. What happened to things that last? I'm so tired of buying things just to have them break almost as soon as I get them home! I'm going to start searching yard sales for a can opener that was made BEFORE the 80's. Grrr...:he
I feel your frustration. I'm going through the same problem with finding a mandolin. Come on! A mandolin doesn't even have any moving parts. Guess I'll try a restaurant supply house.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
funny you mention the mandolin. we got one a couple years ago at the flea market we used to sell stuff at. i hardly use it till the harvest season and then it goes back in its box for the winter and spring.

i still can't stand the electric can openers. i've been used to the ol' twist of the writs style for so long since i find the electric ones don't live past a year before they start having issues trying to open the can.

Latest posts