Can you grow watermelon, pumpkins, and cantaloupe together?

pax12

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can you grow watermelon, pumpkins, and cantaloupe together?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, that is no problem at all, except they take up a lot of space. I know the watermelon will not cross-pollinate with either of the other two. I'm also pretty sure the pumpkin and cantaloupe will not cross-pollinate with each other, either, but I'm feeling lazy and will not go check on genus. Even if they did cross-pollinate, that would not affect the fruit. That would only affect the seeds if you planted them. So your harvest this year will not be affected at all.

pax12

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ok thanks and I take the seeds from one year and use them the next too.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
some watermelons will need to cross pollinate to set nice fruit so you might want to check which variety you're growing to see if it is self pollinating or need another type with it.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Unless you have tons of room you may what to consider bush varieties,

Example,
Watermelon - Bush Sugar Baby
Pumpkin - Orange Smoothie
Cantaloupe - Honey Bun Hybrid

Chris

pax12

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
okay thank you. :)

Jacobtaylar

Sprout
Reaction score
Yes definitely you can grow that all together but as the question is the space required and large space is needed to grow such big fruits. You also need to check weather the plants required the nutrients and fertilizers and need to be provided regularly.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are growing them together, but we have plenty of space and good, sandy soil. I have 4 kinds of melons and 5 kinds of squash growing in different spots throughout the yard. The biggest plant so far is a "volunteer" pumpkin that came from a pumpkin I fed to my chickens last fall & one of the seeds that ended up in the yard germinated. It's gorgeous, but it's really taking up a lot of space! Like I said, good thing we have the space for them.

raabfarm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Im trying new bush varieties with Table King acorn squash, Buttercup Bush squash and Great Northern dry beans. So many seeds-not enough gardens.

jakesebastin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
We are growing them together, but we have plenty of space and good, sandy soil. I have 4 kinds of melons and 5 kinds of squash growing in different spots throughout the yard. The biggest plant so far is a "volunteer" pumpkin that came from a pumpkin I fed to my chickens last fall & one of the seeds that ended up in the yard germinated. It's gorgeous, but it's really taking up a lot of space! Like I said, good thing we have the space for them.
That is a very good thing that you have that much amount of good soil. It will be very much helpful to you in the grow.So keep going on and keep sharing such a nice information.