Candied jalapeo peppers

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/candied-jalapenos-cowboy-candy/

Yep we make them. They are a BIG hit around here. They are absolutely killer on a sandwich, (one of my favorites is to toss a handful of them on a roast beef sandwich with swiss cheese) or on a burger, or diced up and thrown in with a block of cream cheese make a great spread, or if you really have the time some crumbled bacon, cream cheese and candied jalapenos are that much better.

They go with lots of things, and we're expected to bring them to most family functions. We usually open a small jar and leave them out with the cheese and cracker plate for people to snack on. We've yet to bring any back home from a get together.

Couple things to be aware of. Get your stuff ready ahead of time. Your melting sugar, so your going to be stirring up a storm to keep it from burning. Its better to have extra jars ready just in case so your not scrambling to get them ready. Cause you won't have a free hand.

Remember its melting sugar so its hot, and sticky. Any utensils you use you'll have to wash or possibly soak for a few minutes if they are allowed to cool to get the sugar mixture off.

Also keep in mind to wear gloves when cutting and handling jalapenos. Most drug stores will sell latex gloves or a non-latex alternative glove. Wear them when handling peppers so you don't scratch your nose, rub your eye or have to use the bathroom. Because :ep & :barnie don't even begin to justify what the punishment is like for not being more careful. The gloves are disposable, which makes for easy clean up. Remember to pinch a loose end of the glove near your wrist with the other gloved hand, and peel the glove down inverting it as it comes off your hand. Then using the now inverted glove, repeat the process on the other hand. Both gloves go in the trash.

If you have a vent over the stove or a fan use it. If you've ever made pickles you'll understand. Its not bad but its not something you want to stand over stirring repeatedly without some air movement unless you've got a sinus infection or your heads plugged up with a cold. Then I recommend breathing deeply and making a double batch.

Really though don't let me scare you. They taste absolutely fabulous and I actually grow more jalapenos every year for this recipe because they are such a hit everywhere we take them. We love them. Its easily in the top 5 favorite things that we make. This is really a recipe you say "Today I'm going to make candied jalapenos" and you make it a priority to get it done. Its a commitment because of the prep work and working with melted sugar is messy.

The jalapenos are not really hot once they are candied. They have a bit of a bite to remind you its still a pepper but its not really hot. The sugar really reduces the heat but gives it an excellent overall flavor.

If you want to use a hotter pepper you can. We've done this and it works just fine too the recipe carries over if you want more heat.

Go make them and enjoy them!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister was just out here visiting and brought some jalapeno brittle that my niece bought for us at the MO State Fair.

Not all the pieces were hot , but there were quite a few that made your eyes water. Good stuff!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to talk Hayley into not being so shy and using the teg more to get these recipes!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks,

Jared, interesting that your recommendation was for same recipe that I found on Internet. Will make tomorrow night after work. Where I found it was for 1# of peppers and not 3 so I don't have to do math. I want to make quart of them. So I don't have to can. Make it, chill for 2 weeks then a EAT!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I opened my first jar of them yesterday of those I canned a month ago. Totally yummy...thanks, Jared! Some jalapenos can be hotter or milder than other varieties. The ones I grew were a little too hot for my liking, so I'll take the time to remove the seeds next time. I can hardly eat one plain, but they were awesome on a hot ham and cheese sandwich. I'm sure I'll like the bacon and candied jalapeno dip too when I get a chance to make it. I may double the spices in my next batch I make because I mostly tasted just heat and sweet, but I think that is probably just me because I have a lot of sinus trouble and that can mess with your sense of smell/taste. It was really hard to wait the whole month to try them, but I'm sure that mellowing period makes all the difference, giving it time to blend.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your welcome! So glad you folks like them.

Journey set some aside and let them soak before your next batch. Might surprise you how the mellow out, or our jalapenos were not that hot.

We add them in a number of places. Once you get a taste for them you'll start thinking "You know this needs some..." and there ya go.

My wife jokes that our kitchen is a mad scientists playground. I'm always finding new and interesting recipes to try so we're always making something different to try. That's how I stumbled upon the recipe I posted.

Speaking of really good recipes Journey you need to repost the link to your blog with the jazzed up mustard. That stuff is REALLY REALLY good! Its not uncommon go through a 1/2 pint jar of it a day during deer camp!!!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, picked all but 2 of my jalapeo's. Made quart jar plus another small jar full using banana peppers. Easy to make. Now to wait 3 weeks! Want to eat now. I have patience, just don't want to wear my patience out by over working it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't have patience......... Opened up small jar after 2 weeks. Dang it's good! Will wait on large jar before I open it. If things don't freeze, will make couple of quarts using banana peppers.

Thanks for recipe.

Latest posts