Carrot

bearmanz400

Leafing Out
Reaction score
IMG-20111023-00173-2.jpg

Today I picked my first edible thing from the garden

I have what looks to be 50 more growing - no idea how long it takes for them to get to the correct size

Tasted like a carrot - cant wait until they become a decent size

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
How cute! What zone are you in? As you have found out, you can eat the carrot at just about any stage... The gourmet's love those baby carrots (maybe 3 inches long, and slender like yours). They are so sweet and look so cool on the plate! Here in zone 4- it takes 3-4 months to grow a really big carrot, the kind you might use in soup or stew. Enjoy your carrots!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
bearmanz400 said:
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff81/bearmanz400/IMG-20111023-00173-2.jpg

Today I picked my first edible thing from the garden

I have what looks to be 50 more growing - no idea how long it takes for them to get to the correct size

Tasted like a carrot - cant wait until they become a decent size
Awesome, that's always sooooo exciting to actually eat your first item! I love harvesting, it never gets old going into your yard and coming in w/ supper!

bjanet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm new to theeasygarden, but had to laugh at your current carrot harvest. I planted beets this fall and only had one come up...my husband is always asking how "the beet" is doing.
We are in your same growing zone, being in the Oklahoma City area.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
bjanet said:
I'm new to theeasygarden, but had to laugh at your current carrot harvest. I planted beets this fall and only had one come up...my husband is always asking how "the beet" is doing.
We are in your same growing zone, being in the Oklahoma City area.
Well :frow neighbor. I'm east of you down I 40

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
bearmanz400, congrats on the carrot. It is awesome to see something growing and know that in time, it will be a nice contribution to your meal.

On a side note: I had some little guests at my house last night. (11 and 12 year old sisters) They were watching me cut up the last of our peppers to freeze. I had some decent size ones and some really small ones. One of the girls looked at me and said, "isn't it funny how when people want to sell their vegtables that didn't grow, they just call them "fun size!" I thought how smart of those girls to pick up on that. So what you have there apparently is a "fun size" carrot!

bjanet, Welcome! And I gotta say, I can appreciate your husbands sense of humor and I bet that IS going to be the best tasting beet you've ever had.

bjanet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi Kassaundra! I saw you were from Henryetta and wondered if you were in Oklahoma! We are actually in Choctaw, but OKC is so spread out that it's just easier to say that is where we are.
Did your garden just sit there and not do much this year, with the heat breaking records constantly? We got lots of growth and flowers on vegatables, but nothing ever set.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
bjanet said:
Hi Kassaundra! I saw you were from Henryetta and wondered if you were in Oklahoma! We are actually in Choctaw, but OKC is so spread out that it's just easier to say that is where we are.
Did your garden just sit there and not do much this year, with the heat breaking records constantly? We got lots of growth and flowers on vegatables, but nothing ever set.
During the summer heat it didn't do much, but since it has cooled it has been going like crazy. I haven't gotten any (to speak of ) ripe tomatoes, likely will not I may get a handful of green ones. The squash, cukes, peppers (hot) and okra, some greens, and radish have done very well. I'm going to plant early and early bearing veggies next year (especially tomatoes) see if I can get a decent harvest before the heat sets in.

Latest posts