Carrots, carrots, carrots....

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
cwhit590 said:
Do you have a juicer? Making carrot juice uses up a lot of carrots....it tastes pretty good and it's healthy for ya too! :D
Good idea!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
my husband wants me to apologize for that last line! ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
No need to apologize!! I am going to try and use all of them. I tried baking carrot chips last night- I couldn't get them to dry out and get crispy. I think I will try a few in the dehydrator. I have stored as many as I can in the sand. Have the small ones in bags for snacking. Today I am going to blanch and freeze. I am really looking forward to roasting them. That sounds really good- will do that for dinner tonight...Wish I had a juicer...

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I pickled 16 lbs of carrots in a spicy green bean pickling brine. They wont last long at the rate my family is munching...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds good, sparkles. That is one of the recipes I want to try. You just have to refrigerate right? Or are you actually canning?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I found this online--haven't a clue whether it's a good recipe, or not--let me know when you try it! (I am SURE that you could make it with domestic carrots, too!)

Wild Carrot Cake
From The Wild Vegetarian Cookbook

Wild carrots are especially good in carrot cake because they provide more flavour than commercial carrots do, and they're still crunchy after cooking.

Unlike the usual cakes, in this recipe you add the icing before you bake the cake.

Icing
Two 19-ounce packages silken tofu, drained
3/4 cup dates, chopped
1/4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
2 tablespoons arrowroot or kudzu
2 tablespoons fresh bread crumbs
1 tablespoon almond oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon liquid stevia or 2 tablespoons honey, barley malt, or rice syrup
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cake
4 cups (19 ounces) sweet brown rice flour and 4 cups (1 pound) oat flour, or 35 ounces any whole-grain flour
1 cup arrowroot or kudzu
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons freshly ground flaxseeds (6 tablespoons seeds)
2 teaspoons freshly ground star anise
1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons apple juice
1 cup corn oil or other vegetable oil
1/4 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
1/2 cup lecithin granules
2 teaspoon liquid stevia (herbal sweetener)
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 1/2 cups wild carrot taproots, grated

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. To make the icing: In a food processor, combine the icing ingredients and process until smooth.

3. To make the cake: Mix together the flour, arrowroot, ground flaxseed, spices, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.

4. In a blender, combine the apple juice, corn oil, lime juice, lecithin granules, and liquid stevia and process until smooth. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, being careful not to overmix. Stir in the raisins and grated wild carrots.

5. Divide the batter evenly between 2 oiled 12-inch round cake pans. Pour the icing over the cake batter in each pan. Bake the cakes until the bottom of each one is lightly browned, about 40 minutes. Let the cakes cool on wire racks before serving.

MAKES 2 CAKES
http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/queen.html

Latest posts