Cat and guinea pig poop

RedheadErin

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
At what point in the spring should I start looking for them? Also, will the clay in the kitty litter be a problem? The bag says it is biodegradable.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
RedheadErin said:
At what point in the spring should I start looking for them? Also, will the clay in the kitty litter be a problem? The bag says it is biodegradable.
The litter shouldn't present a problem unless it is the type that contains an insect killer. The first soldier flies will show up about the time you can stay outdoors all day without a jacket. The warmer it gets the more there will be. They like hot weather. (but the composter shouldn't be in full sun. It may get hot enough to cook the larvae.)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There may be a good use for cat and dog poop. We have a lot of trouble with wood chucks. When cleaning up after the dog and cats I put the poop down the woodchuck hole. I figure they may not like it and move to another neighbors property.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't blame them. Nothing smells worse than cat poop. Thank God the terrorist haven't discovered it yet. I'd hate to see Congress bombed with cat poop. On second thought maybe it would just be an expression of free speech. ;)

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have five guinea pigs and have been using their poop and bedding in the compost pile for three or four years now. The plants love it. I also use the cat litter, after scooping the poop out. But I use either pine or wheat litter for them. And sometimes the recycled newspaper pelleted type. But never clay. There is silica in clay that is bad for the cat's lungs, I would stay away from it.

Latest posts