Catalogs, 2024

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been responding to seed catalogs by requesting that they drop me from their mailing list to save resources. I only get a few now, usually because I placed an order online with an affiliated company. I do miss browsing through the catalogs (BC's is eye candy for gardeners) but my days of ordering new seeds are just about over. I'm trying to focus on growing out my swap backlog, the few trials yet remaining, and preserving what I already have.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been responding to seed catalogs by requesting that they drop me from their mailing list to save resources. I only get a few now, usually because I placed an order online with an affiliated company. I do miss browsing through the catalogs (BC's is eye candy for gardeners) but my days of ordering new seeds are just about over. I'm trying to focus on growing out my swap backlog, the few trials yet remaining, and preserving what I already have.
Given the high cost of printing and mailing, I am shocked that seed companies continue to send me unsolicited catalogues. I prefer online seed catalogues, so l would much rather that they only send hard copies on request. Checking my preferences with them will go on my to do list. And I too am ordering very few seeds this year. I have a lot of seeds to work with from last year, as well as some new seeds from fellow growers that I am looking forward to growing out. 😊

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

same here, i just do not have the space to grow everything i would like so i need to focus on those which are most important.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@ninnymary , Yes! Your climate is different than mine.
I know that I often sound like a "location NAZI" when new members don't post their general location/zone, but it REALLY makes a difference. We can't help anybody grow anything if we don't know WHERE they are growing.
I am at 40 degrees latitude, same as Rome, but Italy has far different growing conditions. The Mediteranian is more like where YOU live and there are often cacti that grow there.
I live landlocked and, even in our current drought, we have wet or frozen ground and much mud.
We also have patches of clay.
If you cross the Mississippi River the soil changes, so growing in Missouri is different than mine.
BOTH can be different bc some grower there may amend their garden soil differently than me.
BUT, few of us grow primarily in a greenhouse or grow hydroponically, like Jack was getting into before he left us and went, I guess, professional.
I have read from many experts that, if you grow a vegetable for one year on your property, and save and grow seeds the next year, the following year's plants will have an adaptation to YOUR climate and have an easier time.
Tomatoes, IMHO, are easy to grow bc they have been adapted in many ways to grow in conditions that would have killed themm some 500 years ago.
So, yeah, that would be a good catalog to order tomatoes from.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_0864.jpeg

eye candy
Yes. On my living room walls are 3 pictures that I downloaded from the Library of Congress, printed and framed. They were the covers of seed catalogs from over 100 years ago.

:) Steve