Catnip

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Everything I've planted in my square foot garden is going like gangbusters except the catnip (my cats are totally bummed about this, by the way). Bad batch of seeds? Anyone have success stories/tips?:(

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have catnip seeds- but I am a little nervous to plant them. Does this spread like crazy- or does it stay contained? I know the cats would enjoy, but I don't want another "mint patch"!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
mine goes all over. I pull it and it finds 2 other areas in garden to come up. If there was a market for it, it would die........

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As long as you religiously deadhead it it won't spread too much. It's the seeds, it is very prolific!

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine spreads like crazy, just like the lemon balm. I find sprouts all over my 3 acres, and the mother plant comes back HUGE every year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had some problems with my catnip "crop" last year.

Seeds germinate here and there around the yard but the mower and weed-whacker takes care of them. They haven't been like the mint and able to either duck or root off every stem.

I have had some nice plants around the large veggie garden. There, the mower/weed-whacker got a little too happy in 'o8. I would have liked to have had some for harvesting.

My level of sophistifaction* with other herbs for tea have gone up these last few years. So, I don't have quite the need to compete with the neighborhood cats over the catnip. Nevertheless, I'd hoped to have one nice plant. Nope, harvest would have required fingernail scissors after a few uncontrolled passes with the mowing equipment early in the season.

Steve

*The feeling of satisfaction gained by indulging or partaking in sophisticated pastimes, such as herb tea tastings, chamber orchestra recitals, gallery openings and transatlantic cruises.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
there is a use for catnip besides feeding it to cats and watching them roll in it?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can pick the growing tips, rinse, and pour boiling water on them. You have tea.

Drying gives catnip a better flavor - not quite so strong and "green". These days, I add a little to other herbs for tea.

You can also make cat toys and stuff them with batting and catnip. DW did that one year - a simple little "mouse" pattern. They seemed to be really appreciated by cat owners.

Steve

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Update-

I tried another brand of seeds, and I finally have three tiny little sprouts! Can't wait to try to make cat toys!

Latest posts