Check it out--free tomato seeds!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been reading up on wintersowing and saving milk jugs. It's just something I want to experiment with this year for fun and to see what value it may be to me. In my research, I came across this offer for 6 free samples of OP tomato seeds (you pick from list). They are small samples, but would be worthwhile to try out some new ones you may have been interested in. You just print and fill out the form and send them a SASE. Cool, huh? :)

The first 6 are free, but you also have the option to send a donation (see left-hand sidebar of their page for more info), different dollar amounts equaling certain numbers of samples. It's a pretty good sized list to choose from.

Wintersown.org is a non-profit organization, btw.

Link: http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Your_Choice_Tomato_SASE.html

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey is right. Good deal. Good organization. Get seeds free and at low cost (not a lot of seeds, but plenty to get starter plants. Also have other seeds available with the tomato seeds.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, Wintersown offers an amazing selection. Everything is open pollinated (much is donated by growers like us). Well worth a try, and if you support them with a tax-deductible donation you still come out ahead compared to ordering from a commercial outfit (particularly if you consider postage).

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been getting tomato seeds from them for many years and have had good results. It's really helped me to build up my collection. The selection does change from year to year, so if you see something you can't live without better get it on this request!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i looked at the list and realized i have probably 1/4 to 1/3 of what they're offering this year! there are some really good ones i may see about adding to my 'collection' of tomato seeds. ok, maybe i should say i've tried growing over the years about 1/3 of that list. some i have since given up for more reliable, tasty varieties. i'll be using some of my extra seeds for trading this year from those i've kept.

thanks for the link! i'm going to look into this winter sowing thing. i've had tomatoes every year from those that have fallen on the ground and got missed during cleanup, somehow i get lots that survive the winter months. some times i get ripe tomatoes by the end of the season, most times i get lots of greens, rarely do i get nothing but flowers. but i like to keep tomatoes that are early producers for my area, so whether i start some in the house each year or not i still have tomatoes each year!

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I noticed that they also take seed donations. I have quite a few I think I will send them. I always tend to save way more than I need, sometimes to share, some to trade, just in case. ;)

We've talked before about volunteers in a past thread somewhere. They always turn out to be so robust and often well ahead of anything I've planted in flats. I'm particularly excited to try this with tomatoes. If I can get ripe tomato just a little earlier... :woot

Latest posts