Check it out.....

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
from your local library. Now that many people are starting to harvest and cover soil for the winter. I used to always settle down and plan for next year. Several years ago I found a really great book (written by someone in zone 5) that I loved enough to buy. Any way it is called "The Year-Round Gardener" How to grow your own food 365 days a year No matter where you live, by Niki Jabbour. It has a lot of really usefully info and ideas. Even suggestion of what types of plants to grow when. Hope you "Check it Out" and enjoy it.

I own a lot of gardening books but this is one I keep out all the time and usually the first one I go to when I want start a new project.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi 'Dorie!

I put a hold on that at the library :). She has another and just published last year book at another branch: Groundbreaking. It seems to be about vegetable garden layout.

I tried your pickle recipe. I think they are winners!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20151108_083325616.jpg

This lady gardener (and gardening radio program host) does her protected winter growing in those cold frames ... In Nova Scotia!

I just started the book last night. The first words had to do with discovering nice arugula in her open November garden. That was the beginning of her trying to grow things like that, several years ago.

I'd have passed up the arugula maybe with just a brief thought how it's a member of the radish family. You know, radish makes a pretty good stir-fry ingredient - the entire plant!

Anyway, there are pictures later in the book showing her out with the broom, sweeping snow off her cold frames and hoopies. She also discusses other choices, beyond arugula, for that protected growing.

:) Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ms Jannour suggests "a few potatoes can be tucked into the (cold)frames for a late-May harvest of tender tubers." This is under a "Spring" subheading. I'm thinking early March. Protected like that, they should grow well. Oh Boy!

She transplants leeks into the frames in the summer but leaves most of the ground available for seed, for cool weather.

"... winter lettuces, machete, claytonia, endive, tatsoi, pak choi, spinach, Swiss chard, and bunching onions are seeded directly in the frames."

Way out on the summer harvest pages, she has a picture of some dry beans. They are @Bluejay77 's!
IMG_20151113_063854705.jpg

Steve :D

Last edited:

Latest posts