Cherokee Purple - Normal size?

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought three Cherokee Purple plants from the feed-n-seed because they were the last ones and I have heard so much about them. They were planted later than all the rest of my tomatoes, but are now 24 inches tall and flowering. I hope they do well. That spaghetti sauce sounds interesting!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I made sauce that was a mix of cherokee purple and Roma and I had oregano and basil from the garden for spice. It was delicious!!! Unfortunately I only had enough for 3 jars! I had to hide them from hubby and only bring them out on special occasions :D

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Alright I made sauce with them... Well, actually a mixture of Cherokee Purple, San Marzanos, & Martinos. I used a BH&G recipe for Tomato-Basil Simmer Sauce. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it seemed to thicken up a lot easier than when I just do paste tomatoes alone. The color was also a lot more pleasing. It tastes awesome. So maybe Cherokee Purple again next year, after all... ;) Anyways, thank you to everyone for the using them as a tomato sauce suggestion. :)

8005_basil_simmer.jpg

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ohhh, that looks divine!! Wish my tomatoes were that beautiful color, instead of green!

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ha, ha! i just noticed the big giant seed in the middle of the picture of the jar. I guess I DIDN'T get all the seeds out! OOps! :bun

dinkadoo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
SS2,

Thats's about as big as you want them as they do tend to crack especially with a sudden burst of water. They crack and the stink bugs come running. The Krims are very good and are more crack resistant. For a good treat,(don't shoot me for this) pop one in the fridge before bed and blend it for breakfast when it's good and cold.(cherrokee) Nice mater!

Neko-Chan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Awesome! I was growing some HUGE Grosse Lisse tomatoes last year, but not nearly as big as that cherokee purple! The biggest was just under half a kilo.

This year, I plan to grow Moneymakers, Cherokee Purples, Black from Tula if I can get it, an heirloom Cherry mix, and hopefully soem form of paste tomato.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Neko-Chan!

Check with some Australian gardeners for Rainy's Maltese. Rainy (Lorraine) is an Australian gardener and maybe visited Malta . . ?

Anyway, they work well for me :).

Steve

Latest posts