Chicken math isn't supposed to work this way!!!!!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, so I am a bad chicken momma. I have my chickens in two "coops". The larger flock is in the chicken coop with Nesco, Their rooster. The second, smaller flock is kept in the garden shed because Nesco's son, Thing 1 will fight to the death if they get together.

I usually let the smaller flock out early in the morning for a short time, then feed them inside and shut the coop. It's 16 X 24 so there is plenty of room for the 4 oldest hens and their rooster.

Then, once they are put away, I let the big flock outside for the rest of the day. Most of my time is spent with the big flock. That's where I get my eggs. The smaller flock is so good at hiding their eggs that the few eggs I get from the garden shed are scrambled and fed to the chickens.

Well, tonight I went out to lock up the coop. There are three broody hens, but I've kept removing the eggs from all the nests. I don't need any more chickens! The feeder in the coop was low on food so I went into the garden shed to refill it. Imagine my shock when I spotted several small shadows running about! Didn't look like rodents. Didn't sound like rodents. OMG! I have chicks!

The light is out so I couldn't tell just how many there are, but I suspect more than three little shadows and one lighter figure peeping and running to hide under momma. Sheesh! I figured the older hens weren't laying all that many eggs. I forgot that Thing 2 -- only three years old -- was also in the shed. I suspect she's the proud mother although I'm guessing that not all the eggs were hers.

All the feed and water is up off the ground to keep them clean. Quickly, and in the fading light, I had to get food down to the babies' level and get a water container they could easily reach. Tomorrow, I will put their feed and water in a smaller cage the chicks can get into to feed, but the bigger birds can't access. That will insure the babies don't have all their food taken by the others.

This is NOT what I had in mind. Just today Maverick asked if I would let one of the broody hens hatch some chicks. NO! I have more than enough chickens right now, and with a Spouse who won't eat at home, I am having eggs pile up everywhere until I end up gifting them to the Salvation Army center or feed them back to the birds.

Why doesn't there seem to be any substantial subtraction operation in chicken math?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me subtraction is a very important part of chicken math. I currently have one mature rooster, eight mature hens, fifteen 15-week-olds, nineteen 7-week-olds, and five 1-week-olds with a broody hen. I plan to let one more broody hatch this summer, probably next month. But in three weeks the cockerels among those 15-week-olds will be 18 weeks old, time for the subtraction to start. I have sufficient room in my freezer even with all the stuff I've been putting up from the garden. By early next year I should be back down to one rooster and eight hens.

I know not everyone manages their chickens like I do but I wouldn't keep them if not for the subtraction. Had chicken soup for supper tonight.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have chicken in the freezer and no room for more. I'd even consider purchasing another freezer, but Spouse refuses to eat at home. It is, hopefully, one of those "this too shall pass" phases, but I haven't been able to use any of the food in the freezer yet this year and I've already tossed too much when I cleaned the refrigerator freezer.

Poor grands! I started freezing bread so it wouldn't spoil and I end up tossing most of a half gallon of milk to the chickens every two weeks. I wouldn't even buy it, but I like keep milk on hand for the grands.

They do get all the boiled eggs and egg salad sandwiches they can handle, but even much of that gets tossed after too many days.

I have tried refusing to drive to town and making something at home, but he refuses to eat and I give in because he is so much more important than the money spent in town or the wasted food at home.

I think I'll take out a chicken and let it thaw to cook on the rotisserie Monday. That's a meal he's never rejected before and son should be here to eat with us or take the chicken home.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wishful thinking at three black and one light chick. There were 12, count 'em, 12 chicks. 11 are mostly black and one is yellow. It seems that one died after hatching or it would be 13 chicks.

Not what I wanted or expected. And the broody hen was Hilda, one of my first Australorp chickens five years ago, and the only full blood Australorp left. She has always been a good mother. Great! She has her work cut out for her with this brood.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put them up on Craigslist. That way @Nyboy can buy them from you.
:yuckyuck

They are cute! They won't bite your fingers and don't need hand feeding. Besides, they can make your breakfast in about six months. They can't all be roosters can they?

Or they can make you a dozen extra special stir-fry meals!

The absolutely easiest way to cook chicken is with a rotisserie. Put it in the machine, set the timer, sprinkle the bird with Mrs. Dash or (I use) a rotisserie seasoning, and set the table. When the machine stops, remove from the skewers, pour the wine, and enjoy!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i noticed my Etta going broody the past couple weeks. she hasn't done this the past couple years since CC was hatched. i wish i could let her hatch some for me but the city has put limits on how many birds i can have. she was a good momma to the chicks she's raised in the past & CC is a wonderful roo because of her.

we need pics of the new fuzzy butts! will momma let you get close to touch them?

Latest posts