Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used to and sometimes I think about doing it again but just too busy to get something like that started right now. They do have an incredible amount of meat on them but now I can't eat rabbit...causes me to have gout.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Note on my chicken dogs:

I took advantage of a training opportunity tonight...seems like that's how much of the training gets done here, not structured at all.

Mom had left a large piece of styrofoam in the yard and Ben had nabbed it and was chewing on it...from the house I noticed it and yelled out the window, "BEN! LEAVE IT!" and was surprised that he immediately stopped chewing the foam, though I would have preferred that he move away from the object also. I was surprised because I've only had to use that command on him a handful of times and never from that far distance.

In a few moments I went up the yard to retrieve the foam, but I also brought their favorite treat of all....pork femurs. HUGE bones that they can chew the ends off of, but cannot really chew up the whole bone, so this leaves them with many gnawing opportunities in which to get their chewing needs out.

Jake waited impatiently while I cut his bone out of the package~but still gave me space, so I gave him his first. Ben kept bumping the wrapped bone with his nose while I was trying to cut it open and unwrap...so I told him, in just a conversational tone of voice and manner, "I'd really like for you to be lying down and waiting patiently until I give this to you."

He backed off and laid down!!!!
faint.gif
Anyone watching would think I'm some uber dog trainer.
LOL_.gif
Not a bit of it...I was just as surprised as anyone would be that he actually listened and complied! He politely received the bone when it was given and moved away to eat on it. Sometimes that dog has his moments, I tell ya...
toothless-chuckle-smiley-emoticon.gif

Then, as I was walking back down to the house, I heard Ben give a quick growl and lunge at a chicken that got too close to his bone. I gave him a verbal correction for it, but then I got to thinking...that's the first time I'd seen Ben do that. He's even shared raw deer meat with chickens and didn't get aggressive.

So...another training moment. I walked up to him and placed my hand on his bone. A very low and short growl was given. A very sharp verbal correction was returned and also a quick slap to the muzzle. He released the bone but didn't back off. Then I put my hand on it again..no growl, but he didn't release the bone. I moved my other hand to the bone and moved my body in a position over the bone and just waited. He suddenly let go of the bone and rolled over on his side, exposing his belly and then further to expose his throat. EXCELLENT response!!!!! Amazed moment #3!

I then picked up the bone and stood up. He stood up and watched the bone. I pointed at the ground and he laid down right away. He acted calm, so I gave him his bone back.

Good session!

Then, I did the same to Jake...when one has little kids around, it's always a good idea to train these dogs that humans give the food and they can also take the food. I put my hand on Jake's bone...no growl, but he didn't let go. I put my other hand on the bone and moved it down to where his mouth was. He didn't let go. I waited and moved my body over the bone more. He let go and turned his head away. I picked up his bone and stepped back and he still didn't look at me or the bone. Good response!!! I gave his bone back.

Then I moved back to Ben and put my hand on his bone...he hesitated a moment, so I put my other hand on it. He released it and moved his head back but remained lying down when I stood up with his bone. I then gave the bone back.

I'm very pleased with how that all went and I'll try to remember to work on that again the next time we get fresh bones to give them. I'm VERY pleased with Ben's quick learning after his initial small growl. That's the first time he's ever growled at any of us and I've worked on taking his dog food and deer scraps before but never a fresh bone.

I don't think any reaction is too over the top or aggressive when correcting a dog's growl at a familiar human or a child, especially over possession of food or a toy. That's just something they need to know real quick and in a hurry that is NEVER allowed. EVER. Under no circumstance are they to offer a growl to a familiar person....that's how bites happen to little children.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, you have to be about bursting with pride in Ben. He was heaven sent to you and you are molding him into one very fine dog. He will continue to grow and learn as he grows up to be your farm partner. Ben is doing fantastic, but that is because of your love for him and teaching him what is the right/wrong thing to do. Good job Ben!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I try not to get too prideful about it all, though that's my first inclination :D...I have to remind myself that it's not through my efforts or even his own that has resulted in my having a good work partner in this pup, but through the grace of God. For that I am indeed grateful...God answered prayer for the right kind of dog to have here on the homestead and I'm just sitting back enjoying that blessing!

I'm very pleased with him all the same, even though I had very little to do with what a great dog he is...he is because God designed him to be. Just imagine how pitiful any of my training efforts would have been if I had gotten a different kind of dog...one that wasn't as intelligent, humble or eager to please.

I thank God for sending me the right dog at the right time in my life and also for giving me the right tools to help him develop his good traits. :love

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Note on my chicken dogs:

I took advantage of a training opportunity tonight...seems like that's how much of the training gets done here, not structured at all.

Mom had left a large piece of styrofoam in the yard and Ben had nabbed it and was chewing on it...from the house I noticed it and yelled out the window, "BEN! LEAVE IT!" and was surprised that he immediately stopped chewing the foam, though I would have preferred that he move away from the object also. I was surprised because I've only had to use that command on him a handful of times and never from that far distance.

In a few moments I went up the yard to retrieve the foam, but I also brought their favorite treat of all....pork femurs. HUGE bones that they can chew the ends off of, but cannot really chew up the whole bone, so this leaves them with many gnawing opportunities in which to get their chewing needs out.

Jake waited impatiently while I cut his bone out of the package~but still gave me space, so I gave him his first. Ben kept bumping the wrapped bone with his nose while I was trying to cut it open and unwrap...so I told him, in just a conversational tone of voice and manner, "I'd really like for you to be lying down and waiting patiently until I give this to you."

He backed off and laid down!!!!
faint.gif
Anyone watching would think I'm some uber dog trainer.
LOL_.gif
Not a bit of it...I was just as surprised as anyone would be that he actually listened and complied! He politely received the bone when it was given and moved away to eat on it. Sometimes that dog has his moments, I tell ya...
toothless-chuckle-smiley-emoticon.gif

Then, as I was walking back down to the house, I heard Ben give a quick growl and lunge at a chicken that got too close to his bone. I gave him a verbal correction for it, but then I got to thinking...that's the first time I'd seen Ben do that. He's even shared raw deer meat with chickens and didn't get aggressive.

So...another training moment. I walked up to him and placed my hand on his bone. A very low and short growl was given. A very sharp verbal correction was returned and also a quick slap to the muzzle. He released the bone but didn't back off. Then I put my hand on it again..no growl, but he didn't release the bone. I moved my other hand to the bone and moved my body in a position over the bone and just waited. He suddenly let go of the bone and rolled over on his side, exposing his belly and then further to expose his throat. EXCELLENT response!!!!! Amazed moment #3!

I then picked up the bone and stood up. He stood up and watched the bone. I pointed at the ground and he laid down right away. He acted calm, so I gave him his bone back.

Good session!

Then, I did the same to Jake...when one has little kids around, it's always a good idea to train these dogs that humans give the food and they can also take the food. I put my hand on Jake's bone...no growl, but he didn't let go. I put my other hand on the bone and moved it down to where his mouth was. He didn't let go. I waited and moved my body over the bone more. He let go and turned his head away. I picked up his bone and stepped back and he still didn't look at me or the bone. Good response!!! I gave his bone back.

Then I moved back to Ben and put my hand on his bone...he hesitated a moment, so I put my other hand on it. He released it and moved his head back but remained lying down when I stood up with his bone. I then gave the bone back.

I'm very pleased with how that all went and I'll try to remember to work on that again the next time we get fresh bones to give them. I'm VERY pleased with Ben's quick learning after his initial small growl. That's the first time he's ever growled at any of us and I've worked on taking his dog food and deer scraps before but never a fresh bone.

I don't think any reaction is too over the top or aggressive when correcting a dog's growl at a familiar human or a child, especially over possession of food or a toy. That's just something they need to know real quick and in a hurry that is NEVER allowed. EVER. Under no circumstance are they to offer a growl to a familiar person....that's how bites happen to little children.
GREAT JOB in training your dogs ! :thumbsup

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your dogs have no doubt you are alpha in their pack. In wolves a pack member who does not obey alpha leader is killed, that is how strong the pecking order is in a pack. People run into problems when their dogs question who is alpha dog or owner. You are a very strong leader, your dog will never test your leadership, but always obey it

Latest posts