Chop Meat

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I was craving tacos, went to supermarket. Picked up a taco kit everything was inculcated but chop meat. I pick up a package that was bright red and checked exp date. When I opened package, meat was 2 colors outside red under that was brown colored meat. 2 colors of raw meat turned me off and I threw away. Is this a trick supermarkets do to get rid of old meat ?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've had the same thing happen here @Nyboy , we asked about this and were told if it doesn't smell bad the meat is probably good, it's something to do with lack oxygen penetrating below the surface of the meat. With ground meat I always give it the sniff test, nothing goes off faster than ground meat. That is the one meat I never freeze before cooking always use it fresh the same day bought.
Mmmmm, tacos, love them, maybe we'll buy a kit and have them for supper tomorrow night. What do you put in yours, we usually break the shells in half, a scoop of the seasoned g.b. chopped onion, tomatoes, sharp cheddar cheese and lettuce on each half and top it with salsa (DS1 makes the best salsa, we got 6 jars in his Christmas present to us last year).
Good to hold a plate under your chin when picking up and eating, they're piled pretty high:).

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The kit we buy has hard shells, a pkt. of seasoning for the meat and a pkt. of sauce, but we use DS1's sauce instead.

Actually the hard shells warmed up in the oven are pretty tasty, plus it's an easy meal to throw together, only takes a few minutes :).

Annette

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Make your own she says. Yet, no recipe for those of us not in the know....

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Make your own she says. Yet, no recipe for those of us not in the know....
Haha

Beef tacos

1 lb. ground beef - Cook in pan and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin to taste.

Heat about half inch of oil in pan. Medium heat. Fry tortilla for a few seconds, maybe 5. Turn over and fold in half and fry both sides. Try to keep the tortilla a little open as it frys so that it will be opened for the fillings.

Stuff tortilla with beef, lettuce, mexican cheese, tomatoes, avocados. Top with 2 sprigs of cilantro if you wish.

Shrimp tacos

Marinate shrimp with chopped garlic in olive oil for about 30 minutes. Saute shrimp in pan.
Warm corn tortilla and spread with crema. Crema is half sour cream, half mayonnaise, chopped garlic, chopped jalapeno, salt and pepper.
Add shrimp and top with chopped cabbage.

Mary

Latest posts