Christmas Spirit

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I absolutely have to write a Christmas letter today!

It will go off to people I see very seldom but really would like to maintain a relationship with. Oh, "maintain!" "Maintenance." It sounds so functional ...

... I can recount some information on goings-on through the past year. Try not to end too many sentences "with" prepositions. Include some image or other that fits with a theme -- hopefully, to brighten their day. But, what will be the theme???

Sometimes the weather is kinda dynamic and I write about that, at times. We've had some sunshine and fog ... yawn ... WS says there may be a snowstorm, Christmas Eve.

DD has a new job she is just kinda feeling her way around on. (Prepositions Again!) DS is working but neither are very excited about changes through 2014 ... no gossip ... Could complain about neighbors :rolleyes:. Could say nice things about neighbors ...

Mmaaaybe, that's it ..!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my cousins writes a yearly Christmas letter that my mom used to be one of many recipients. It was full of glowing descriptions of all her talented children and genius grandchildren. And of course her travels and political clout. Somehow I fortunately was never on that list of recipients.
If I were to write an annual letter, it would be short and sweet:

"Hello all. We're still breathing. Merry Christmas" :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well now ...

I feel the need to tell them what we have been up to through the year, @so lucky . They have invested in my little family even if it was just being interested and supportive. Hopefully, they are still and will remain interested and not be less so.

That is why it should add something to their sense of the season! "The poinsettia on this Xmas card is dying!" Won't do it.

Sense ... my garage smells of cedar fence boards and every day I go out and move some of them around! The carrots that came in yesterday to go in the Rattlesnake Bean Soup have the brightest orange color of the year! Despite the daily bright sunshine, the evergreens are completely covered with frost on their north side ...

I won't write about any of that nor about this new menthol liniment for my elbow ... tablet must have been built by a Millennial ... spellchecker doesn't know the word, liniment ..!

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you've just described a letter that you could write to your TEG friends! This is the sort of thing that we love to hear. Ha

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm terrible about correspondence. It's that maintenance thing...
I have sporadically sent Christmas cards and twice have made actual Christmas letters, which I tried to keep informative but not apple polishy.

Because I know exactly what @so lucky is talking about. We were recipients of several of those glowing letters through the years, and I had to pause and say...Really? These are the same Schmiddeldunks that the kids play with? How come my kids are so ordinary?

But in spite of my failure to stay in touch with old friends from long ago, some of them still doggedly send us the yearly updates, and I'm grateful that their friendships have withstood the testing I have subjected them to. Maybe I should tell them huh?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not good about sending cards either. I think I did Christmas cards once. I'm sure I could find enough funny/cute things the kids have done to write a letter. Nobody wants to hear about my chickens and garden, which is what I like to talk about, ha. I am not really good at that maintenance thing either. I figure if I haven't talked to you all year long (or since high school), there must be a reason, LOL. ;)

Steve, you are a great conversationalist. I'm sure you'll write a really nice letter!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine YOU would have a hard time thinking of an interesting letter, @digitS' . I can relate though, to leaving it for the last minute and then, oh what to write about?!

I am a card sender. We get a lot of family photo cards and I love those!... they all go into a photo book.
I skipped the family poem this year, the kids are disappointed, but my rhymer just wasn't working... sent out a nice family photo instead. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Decoration, Mary.

Setting up a tree just interferes with traffic flow. Never thought the window decorations looked good.

I'm not about to climb up and put lights on the eaves! Sure, it's easy enuf in December but taking them down in January is nutz!

Another era, maybe. The people who send cards contribute to the holiday decor ...

Steve
with reindeer and bright red cardinals and poinsettias

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
this photo was sent to me by my older sister, talk about christmas spirit. she went though moms photo album and sent all of us a photo of years gone by this photo was taken in the summer of 1984 of my grandfather howard me and j.j. my first lab.
scan0001.jpg

just seeing his smile gives memories of things that we take of granted. barbara his wife would put out the best spread every forth of july. every christmas she would send all the kids a hand written letter of love, hope and inspiration and a $25 check.
just seeing the photo can smell the roasted chicken and fruit salad with honey dressing.

Last edited:

Latest posts