Cigarettes buried in soil 1 year timelapse

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Like above the filters won't break down quickly.
Is the point that cigarettes will not decompose quicky, or thrown out cigs don't hurt the environment? I have posted that I have found wood shavings, certainly more palatable, from used stall bedding at the bottom of a pile NOT decomposed after 5 years, so the tobacco breaks down faster. It is, after ALL a natural plant.
Are there any time lapse videos on cardboard?
As usual, @Dirtmechanic , you Always post about fascinating things!! :hugs

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is the point that cigarettes will not decompose quicky, or thrown out cigs don't hurt the environment? I have posted that I have found wood shavings, certainly more palatable, from used stall bedding at the bottom of a pile NOT decomposed after 5 years, so the tobacco breaks down faster. It is, after ALL a natural plant.
I looked but couldn't find anything.

On the subject of cardboard, I found a video claiming you can grow potatoes in cardboard... As soon as I get another box I'm trying that.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

it depends upon what kind of cardboard you are talking about as to how long it may take. the more complicated it is and if it has plastic coatings, or many kinds of inks.

the more simple cardboard (plain craft paper quality with no ink or black ink) will decompose quite quickly given enough moisture and then if there are worms and wood lice around they will speed things up even more.

when i use cardboard to smother weeds/grasses i plan on replacing it every year until the jjob is done (one or two years for most weeds, three or more years for the most difficult) and also using multiple layers. it really is not that hard to scrape back the mulch on top and then put down new cardboard and then replace the mulch.

wood chips can also take some years to fully decompose but again it is not that hard to weed them compared to compacted clay or to just top them off with a fresh layer. often i'm using the partially decayed wood chips from some gardens as an amendment for the vegetable gardens. i can never really have enough of this type of material because of how many gardens we have.

i do not want any kind of tobacco products in the gardens. one of the older methods of spraying to deter bugs used steeped tobacco juice (then filtered), but there are some diseases carried by tobacco and i've never really wanted to deter all bugs (just certain bugs). so broad spectrum bug spray has never made sense to me.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lol nobody smokes now they use the vape e cigarette devices. Someone showed me one that has a screen for photos and personalization.

Latest posts