Clematis And Lightposts

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like the look of clematis climing up lightposts. I have a lightpost in middle of front yard, I would like to plant a clematis next to it. I am worried about the underground wires and the vines roots. I know some plants can have roots capable of doing lots of damage. The underground wire was put into a plastic tubed made for underground wiring. I have a small vine in a 3 inch pot, so hoping I only need small hole and willn't hit wire. In case I do hit wire will the wooden handle on shovel stop me from getting shocked?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You don't have to worry about clematis roots harming anything NYboy. Definitely not the Amazonian invasive plant!

The trouble will be the climbing part. Clematis climb by clasping leaf stems, and they need something to wrap around.
I use bird netting and deer fence around trees to support them.

Your clem will need about 3 years to really hit it's stride, it will grow and bloom before then, but by the third year it will be ready to impress you.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, just use a small trowel to dig the hole if you're worried about cutting wires. You wont need a huge hole for a 3" pot.
Amend the soil with some good rich compost to keep your clematis happy.

edited to add- I am the gardener that hits everybodys underground wires to their landscape lighting. It's true, those guys that have to come behind me and repair them aren't very fond of me. I have never been electrocuted yet, not even curly hair. I use a steel shovel too.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
To avoid digging down, you could lay a circle of stone and fill it with soil to plant in. I had to do that around front where it was too gravelly to dig. Mulch it and it won't dry out.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
On another note, clematis like cool roots, so planting some low growing perennials at the base of its sunny side will make your plant much happier. Even rocks and mulch can work to keep the roots cooler, but the shade under plants is best.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here (I am sure every community has a program) you call the Electric company and they send someone out to located and mark where wires and other utilities are. No Charge. Better safe than sorry.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee is right! It is a program called Diggers' Hotline. You are asked to "call Julie" three working days before you want to dig and someone will be out to mark ALL underground utilities, not just the electricity. 811 is the nation wide number for this service.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is out in country only underground is what I had put in. I know wire runs from back of post straight to house. What I am not sure because I didn't see put in, is wire from post to driveway lights.