Climate change and your garden (farm)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We may see more local food production.

Any quick adapting to change will be difficult for Big Ag. Machinery in place to do one job for one crop, isn't likely to be readily adapted to something else.

Mixed crop production isn't usually what large farms are all about. Losing a crop for a season or two will be serious damage to finances because of the enormous investment costs farms have in normal years.

Orchard production may go right in the ditch if tree varieties are suitable for one climate and that is not what those trees are experiencing. Processing and marketing systems will be left high and dry.

Steve
mixing his metaphors

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, big AG will be years ahead of independent small producers. I'm not talking about big but mega big. They consistently do studies on market trends. If consumer will pay for it, they will grow it.

As far as weather/climate changes, I will never try to guess future. I wouldn't make any major changes on someone's speculations on changes. Educated people can't even guess the weather correct when watching radar with all the sophisticated models.

Latest posts