Cold Frames

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am wondering if I can really get any valuable use out of cold frames here in Northern MN? With normal winter arriving at the end of October and lasting till mid-April, would I be able to put plants out in the cold frame if there is snow around it and get anything accomplished?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a real problem with using a cold frame.

Greenhouse work had come first, so I knew something about protected growing. I put one in my backyard - set some plants in it. And, some promptly fried because I was late getting the cover up :(. I struggled with it for a few more weeks. The next year, I built a small lean-to greenhouse on the southwall of the garage. That was my 1st "backyard greenhouse."

Besides my inattentiveness, the problem was the limited air space - mostly, the depth of the air space. The temperature would just run up too fast there in the full sun! Of course, my inattentiveness - lots of syllables in that word :p - was the major problem.

Take a look at -- Collector's cold frame (click)! Now, that thing has some depth to it! I think even I could have some success with that set-up.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sparkles,I didn't have anything to contribute about cold frames, but those flowers in your new avatar are beauteous! What are they?
I enjoy your blog too :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it is worth the experiment. Obviously, not your warmth loving crops... but how about the cool weather ones. Before I had my greenhouse, I had great success with my cold frames. If you have sunny weather, I think you will be surprised at your success. Grab an old window, and a box, drawer or a few hay bales and give it a shot.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am sure you could start cold weather crops like spinach or brassica in early spring just need a sunny spot and be quick about raising and lowering the cover on warm sunny days...you can buy a gizmo to raise and lower it for you...

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm late to the topic, but I'm in Maine and using a cold frame for the first time this year. I have to say I'm not using it for what it's SUPPOSED to be used for, but I'll get to that in the fall. I'm using it right now to harden seedlings off and to help them grow. It's a dream. It's still cold to coolish here during the day but I can put my tomato and pepper seedlings in it and then take them in at night. I always vent it and I have different size pieces of stuff that I use to vent it. Half-inch open for cold days to 1.5 inches on warm days. I also keep a remote thermometer in there with max/min so I can see what's up since I'm new to it. On cloudy days there's not much difference in the temp. The cold frame is about 15 degrees warmer than outside on a day with minimal sun. On a day with a lot of sun, watch out. It was 75ish and sunny today being generous and it was 104 in the 1.5 inch vented cold frame. Consequently it was 129 in the non-vented hoop house next to it... just for comparison (there's nothing in there yet, thankfully). In May. In Maine. That's the best part.

I put the cold frame with the seedlings in it over one of my unplanted raised beds, to help warm the soil. Today I took the cold frame off and planted my corn in the raised bed with the warm soil.

I do plan to use the cold frame this winter over one of the raised beds and do some cold weather crops. Mostly they just don't grow in the winter here, but they'll take off as soon as the spring starts. That's good enough for me.

The seedlings that have grown up the past few weeks in the cold frame during the day look amazing. So far it's only been tomatoes and peppers, but they are the nicest looking group of seedlings I've ever raised, by far.

6992_cold_frame.jpg

6992_coldframe.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That, SCG .

. . is one interesting looking cold frame!

It appears to have quite a lot of depth!

Steve

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It does have a lot of depth, but the tomatoes grew right up to the top. I had to plant them this weekend, they had outgrown the box. Thankfully the weather was right.

You had some questions on the other topic... so...

The directions to it were found in Black & Decker Greenhouse and Garden Projects book. It takes 1 piece of plywood, a sheet of plexiglass or clear sheeting and some hardware. It's about 4x4 at the base and then probably 3 feet high at the back. It's BLUE because then it matches my house and my chicken coop. And darker colors retain heat.

Simple answers. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Supergirl, I found they worked great for hardening off too. Just enough protection from the wind, and a little added warmth. Tomatoes in the garden already? I guess I am behind!