Colorado Springs looking for a Colorado thread

gardendufus

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm from Colorado Springs and looking for an active thread by Colorado gardeners. I'm used to BYC where we have a Colorado thread dealing with Colorado specific issues and sharing similar experiences. Colorado gardening, I have found can be quite challenging. I have gardened here for about 5 years. Now I am looking to branch out and do some new things like potatoes and berries. Well that's enough about me, who can help me find some neighbors. I found a guy named Cityfarmer, but it looks like she hasn't posted in about a year.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, Gardendufus! We're glad to have you growing with us. You will find this a great place for garden questions and answers. Someone will live in Colorado or will live near much the same growing conditions. :old Together we have hundreds of years of gardening experience to draw on.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi gardendufus, from Montana! :)

Yes I remember Cityfarmer, but they haven't been around! Can't immediately think of anyone else in Colorado right now... We're not as big and crazy as BYC, so we don't have members in every state, but anyone here will try and give you a helping hand :clap

I'm thinking that while you and I may have similarly cold winters and short growing seasons, you're probably dealing with somewhat more arid and windy conditions than I am. You'll be able to get lots of good advice on potatoes and berries here.

Support

Deeply Rooted
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG @gardendufus!

Hope that you will find everything here helpful to you. Feel free to explore the useful and informative threads that we have here.

gardendufus

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks all for your welcomes, although I have been a member for a coupla years. City farmer, I knew you were a girl. Well, those were the good old days for me. Just spending time now deciding what to do in my garden this year. Was EXTREMELY disappointed to find out that jicama is probably a no go in the springs. :barnieI kind of had my heart set on that as my new crop this year along with potatoes it seemed they would need similar growing conditions. Not so. So I am planning on the usual beets, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, zuccini, carrots, crowder peas, butternut and acorn squash, my ever faithful volunteer pumpkin, assorted herbs, (maybe my 3 year old blackberries will finally start bearing), asparagus, tomatillos, and some GREAT canolini (sp) beans I grew last year.

Last year I tried fennel. Got some enormous plants about 6-8 feet tall, but I was expecting more of a celery kinda thing so that was either a total fail or I didn't know what I was growing or what to do with it. Tried some Ginger, and got great looking leaves and plant, but no rhizomes. Tried some celery and had the same results I had with the ginger.

I'm still looking for something else for this year. I don't like peppers so won't be doing those. Just grow tomatillos for my friend across the street.

Latest posts